Android Desktop Gaming. Keyboard and Mouse play.

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Raptorrdude
Ensign
Ensign

Android Desktop Gaming. Keyboard and Mouse play.

Post by Raptorrdude »

Not sure if many here have heard about Samsung Dex, Huawei EMUI-Easy Projection, LG Desktop, Or Android 10's built in dev desktop mode, Or even using Chromebook systems.

But these allow a Phone/tablet to turn the basic Android UI into a sorta Windows 10 UI system, But still Android systems. So you can multi-task and do kinda desktop-like functions on a Android device. And instead of using your phone to play, Keyboard and mouse can be used.

Like the Android version of Avroch games. Or Vendetta Online, or Second Galaxy, Eve Echoes. All are nice games. But unless you just wanna use a Mouse all the time or pair a controller that one doesn't have (And deal with a clutter of onscreen icons). You're stuck.

Anyone have any ideas of a App that allows for using Keyboard/mouse functions like a Normal PC game does (or atleast configure keys for each button, but makes them invisible.), And also turns off/clears away the cluttered of onscreen controls (So the screen is more open to view things better.)?

Hopefully this is ok to wonder about.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Android Desktop Gaming. Keyboard and Mouse play.

Post by Marvin »

I've seen posts from here and elsewhere toting Android apps which can be used with computer games. IIRC, they require a 3rd party program running in the background. Or so it seemed to me. I have no idea how they work and, up until a few months ago, I had little interest. Even now, according to my son, I shouldn't expect much from my Kindle (which is as close as I'll ever get to an Android device).
Raptorrdude
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptorrdude »

Marvin wrote:I've seen posts from here and elsewhere toting Android apps which can be used with computer games. IIRC, they require a 3rd party program running in the background. Or so it seemed to me. I have no idea how they work and, up until a few months ago, I had little interest. Even now, according to my son, I shouldn't expect much from my Kindle (which is as close as I'll ever get to an Android device).

I mean using Android purely, and playing Android games with PC-like functions of the keyboard/mouse style.

Not using Android apps ON Pc,etc. Dex is still Android in whole. Just a more desktop-like UI appearance. Like Chromebook, But more functional.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Haven't heard of those, but it sounds neat. I'm also not aware of an app per se that facilitates a more traditional desktop interface environment. But I'd imagine there might be something as Android is effectively a version of Linux. And at least from a gaming standpoint, I'd expect some games to be able to handle certain elements of input and control natively. For my mobile projects, I tend to include the ability to retrieve key inputs. So if there's a keyboard interfacing with the device, the game should be able to respond appropriately without the need for any external apps or software. They can also handle mouse control, but I'm not sure how that might impact mobile functionality if/when a mouse device is detected by the game (which the code is in place to do so).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Not exactly the same but I use https://shadow.tech/ for my mobile gaming. It works great on IOS/Android/PC and you don't have to compromise on what you want to do. It's mobile versions offer virtual controls if you want or you can pair mouse/keyboard/joystick. I was playing Evochron Legacy the other day on it. Speaking of that I need to start a new topic.
Raptorrdude
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptorrdude »

Ohsirus wrote:Not exactly the same but I use https://shadow.tech/ for my mobile gaming. It works great on IOS/Android/PC and you don't have to compromise on what you want to do. It's mobile versions offer virtual controls if you want or you can pair mouse/keyboard/joystick. I was playing Evochron Legacy the other day on it. Speaking of that I need to start a new topic.
Yeah i seen that, A future plan i wanted to do also.

But that's mainly to play PC stuff, Not Android to Android. Heh.