[EL] Custom cockpit

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

[EL] Custom cockpit

Post by WhiteFang »

I found a great cockpit model online here:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/spac ... er-cockpit

I cannot say how well it does or does not look since I cannot see much from my position on the floor looking the wrong way.

I need to change my head's direction and height without changing the mesh - maybe with a text file? - is this possible?

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Custom cockpit - my head is on the floor facing the wrong way!

Post by Vice »

Unfortunately, it's not possible to change the fixed pilot head position independent of the cockpit as that is used as a virtual 'center' from which things are placed around that viewpoint, rather than the other way around. The program you used to convert the original model to DirectX format should be able to provide the translations needed to adjust it for centering and rotation. The sample cockpits included with the cockpit viewer program (available through the customizing kit: https://www.starwraith.com/evochronlega ... readme.htm and here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12540 ) can also be used an overlays for alignment, centering, and scaling. And you can use that program to quickly gauge how it will look in the game as you make changes.

If you aren't able to get it the way you want, you can send me the X format model you are working with (including media all in a ZIP) attached to an e-mail ( starwraith.com > contact ) and I can look into rotating and aligning it.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

I asked the maker of the model to export in the X format so I am not able to do anything.

I got his permission to email you the model though so will do so, thanks for the offer!

EDIT - I only tested in the cockpit viewer btw
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I have updated the model for better alignment/scaling and have e-mailed the revised mesh files to you. However, it will likely take further modifications to get it to look the way you might want it to if you want the placement of the game's holographic displays aligned with the default screens of the mesh (which are currently very different). You can optionally use the default display frames (then just move the base frame around as desired), but you'll need to switch to the 1 and 2 index cockpit option rather than use the global object with a single mesh structure.

I included MQO versions of the mesh files in case you want to try that model editor. Or I can export it to a different format if you'd prefer something else. But it probably isn't needed if you don't mind the holographic displays being rendered over the background structures as they are and like how it looks in the game as it is.
StarWraith 3D Games
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

I am very appreciative of all of your help, Vice, thank you! Cannot believe the level of help really.

I have already moved all the gauges across the 3 screens of the new model and with trackir - it seems very good to me.

I took off the .X mesh file for the glass and it works well in Arvoch Alliance also.

I will however use the method of getting an MQO version of the second cockpit and use the default display frames for that.

So the first cockpit above will be the non-military cockpit and the second the military fighter.

Here it is:
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Happy to help, thanks for the support. Looks very cool by the way.
StarWraith 3D Games
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

Ok I downloaded MOQ and did a select all on the new lightfighter cockpit and did a 180 degree rotate and adjusted viewpoint to be similar as the previous heavyfighter but in the game it is weird.

It seems the scale is wrong and the emissive is being used for the glass.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If the alignment is correct at least, scaling should be fairly simple to adjust. As for texturing, that would likely be dependent on which image files are being used for each layer. If you post a screenshot of what you see, I might be able to determine what is happening. Or you can send the files to me (including the MQO) and I can take a look that way.
StarWraith 3D Games
merlin3776
Ensign
Ensign

Post by merlin3776 »

Wow that looks awesome.

How does it work in EL?
If you would recommend it, i will buy it too.

I'd be happy to hear from you
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ohsirus »

Same here
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

Hi all, sorry all I have had bronchitis will be looking at this this week.
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

With many thanks to Vice's efforts and instructions I now present...

LIGHT-FIGHTER!!!

WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WhiteFang »

HEAVY-FIGHTER!!!