Past game soundtracks

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Revenile
Ensign
Ensign

Past game soundtracks

Post by Revenile »

Watching the old videos on Vice's youtube channel and hitting the Evochron Legends trailer it hit me. We can buy the soundtracks for Evochron Mercenary (or if you were lucky, got it for free when Rich had it for free for that window of time), the current Arvoch, Mercenary 2.0, and Evochron Legacy. However the music in the previous games are nowhere to be found. The song that plays in the Legends trailer is good stuff. This is just a forum to say I hope someday the music from the older games become available for outside the game listening so they aren't lost forever. Then again I could be wrong and those older games didn't have music, could be the case too. :P
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Re: Past game soundtracks

Post by matchbox2022 »

I bet you a donut you can find them in the original game when its busy extracting files. From the trailer I took a peek, at the end you can see the music is by hybrid two
Mind you, the quality will likely be as good as you hear in game and that's that.

That also said, the main trailer can be downloaded as a wmv on the main site here, and wouldn't be too hard to get a good quality music track off that.
As for mercenary, I think those tracks are included minus a few bonus ones which can be found "down sampled" free.
Myself, I have amazing speakers so it's a sin to use anything other than flac or at least 500kbs bitrates with no freq cutoffs.
Don't download off youtube....it's already downsampled ...a..lot...and will kinda sound like....garbage...I typically buy mine including the EM soundtrack when I really want a good flac file
Last edited by matchbox2022 on Mon May 14, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Prior to the more recent exclusive music, for 'older games', the music was licensed from royalty free sources, individuals, and/or were sometimes songs I put together using (then Sony's) Acid, MusicMaker, and eJay Techno. Soundtracks really weren't ever put together for them. For a lot of it (SW1-4, AC, E, EA, EA 2.0, etc) it's been around 15 years or more and the original source/media files are probably on some hard drive packed away some place or lost.

For the newer music over the last decade or so, all of it has been created by Rich Douglas ( https://www.richdouglas.net/ , and the music link at the top has a lot of his other work, including earlier SW3DG projects) and his work on Legacy is available on BandCamp here: https://richdouglasmusic.bandcamp.com/a ... legacy-ost
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Rocinante
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rocinante »

I really like the original EM music too, that music got changed in the EM update that added walkers but I did used to have a mod that added the old music back in ... but I've since lost all links and can't find it.
My favorite is the:
Menu Music (theme from Evochron Mercenary
https://richdouglasmusic.bandcamp.com/a ... 8-remaster

hearing that song still reminds me of the first time I played the demo and broke atmo
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

One of the songs from EM 1.0 is actually still in evochron legacy. Funny thing is that it used to be a no threat track, but now it's one of the combat tracks, and also one of my favorite.