Crew Memeber Disappeared

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
wildcat71
Ensign
Ensign

Crew Memeber Disappeared

Post by wildcat71 »

Hi guys!
It has been a while I didn't play EL, I started again some days ago after the latest patch (1.0788).
I realized that my science officer disappears.
I went here on the forum and I've read that someone had the same issue.
Someone suggested that crew can leave the ship when we land on stations for many reasons.
So yesterday I hired a new scientist and played for some time. He stayed on board all the time.
Today I launched the game and checked if the scientist was still there...no, he disappeared.
Seems to happen when I land, then save and exit the game.
For some reason crew disappears from my ship.

Is it a bug or am I missing something?

Thank you very much
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crew Memeber Disappeared

Post by Vice »

Could be a coincidence that it's been occurring when you start at a city/station. The key will be the message log. Look for a message in that log that reports to you a crew member left. That will be an in-game event notification. Also, the lower their loyalty, the greater their chance of leaving the ship at any docking point. There is also the possibility that you didn't pay them well enough to increase their loyalty and/or enough to keep them on board. Check the payment levels in the crew management console as well to observe the pay rate(s).

If the problem persists and you can't find message log notifications, send me your profile via e-mail (starwraith.com > contact) and I can look into it.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Also, when you launch the game, you dock again if you ended the game while docked. And I believe your crewmember decides to jump ship at docking. So, even if he didn't leave when you docked before saving and exiting the game, he might decide to do so when you launch the game and (in doing so) repeat the docking procedure.
wildcat71
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wildcat71 »

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply and thank you very much for your fast response.
I took a look at the flight log. No mention about the officer leaving my ship and the last time I played he was there when I docked and exited the game.
I usually keep their wage 100-150 credits more that the fair wage but, yes, the loyalty was not so high. Again, no record of his leaving on flight log anyway.

I tried today to hire a new one, saved the game exited and started the game, he was still there but I didn't flight this time, just tried to exit and start again to see if it was a consistent issue.

So I will try to pay more attention at wages, loyalty, logs and see if I am missing something.

Thank you for your support, both of you.

Ps: @ Marvin, thank you! I had no idea about that. So, would it be safer to save while in space?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The flight log and message log reporting are both linked to the crew leaving event routine, so when it occurs, the temporary alert will be logged in the message log and the permanent record will be stored in the flight log. The only way I can think of where that wouldn't occur is if you hire a crew member, then never save before you exit the game. Then when you restart the game next time, you'll restore at your last save point without any record of the crew member leaving the ship (since their joining was never stored with your save game).

Saving out in space can bypass the opportunity for a crew member to leave, although there is a minor 10 unit fuel cost in doing so. Selective docking and working toward raising their pay/loyalty quickly early on are also helpful tactics to try and keep them onboard.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I usually pay new crew 200% of asking price until they reach 100. Which is still no guarantee they won't jump ship prior to reaching 100. Also, if you fail a contract, it will drop that 100 down to 99 or 98 ... so watch what's happening, especially in MP where a buddy (or even a stranger) can take a contract while in the same sector ... and, if that contract isn't completed, you all take the hit.

Saving in space is always a good idea. Or take a nice long voyage before docking. 8)
wildcat71
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wildcat71 »

Vice wrote:The flight log and message log reporting are both linked to the crew leaving event routine, so when it occurs, the temporary alert will be logged in the message log and the permanent record will be stored in the flight log. The only way I can think of where that wouldn't occur is if you hire a crew member, then never save before you exit the game. Then when you restart the game next time, you'll restore at your last save point without any record of the crew member leaving the ship (since their joining was never stored with your save game).

Saving out in space can bypass the opportunity for a crew member to leave, although there is a minor 10 unit fuel cost in doing so. Selective docking and working toward raising their pay/loyalty quickly early on are also helpful tactics to try and keep them onboard.
What I did until now, when I wanted to exit the game, is just dock then the autosave saves the session and only then I exit the game.
When I want to start the game I select my pilot, load it and launch. I suppose it loads that autosave, doesn't it?

I usually try to keep wages higher than their request but I'll try to follow your way Marvin, maybe the last ones they required more money because of the very low loyalty they had.
The lack of record in the logs is still weird, as for Vice post, it should be there 'cause I never leave the game before saving or the autosaving.

As soon as possible I will have another session and I'll pay more attention about all we talked about.

@Vice, if you want to have a look at my pilot's profile, could you tell me please which file you need? Thx

Have a nice day guys and thanks!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, if it auto-saves, then that would be the last restore point. So what would likely have to happen for a hired crew member to be lost under that condition would involve something like hiring them, leaving the station, then getting destroyed and/or exiting the game before making the next stop that would auto-save.

The pilot profile would be the 'pilot#.sw' file in the save data folder (default location is c:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy). The number will correspond to the position in the list of available profiles starting with pillt0.sw for the first slot.
StarWraith 3D Games