[EL 1.0528] EL losses my throttle axis settings *INFO*

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Cougar_DK
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 1.0528] EL losses my throttle axis settings *INFO*

Post by Cougar_DK »

Hi

I had happened twice now that EL somehow loses my CH Pro Throttle from the game. I have 4 CH products connected and change nothing between sessions. Its test ok in Windows and CH Control Manager and I can download my map to it without any problems . Its registred as 1-CH Control Manager device 2 and all three axis sliders is stuck at the left side of the screen:

My DxDiag.txt: http://www.twins4ever.dk/DxDiag/DxDiag.txt

What info can I provide to help you out?

I can get the throttle back after a restart or two and then have to set it all up again.

Please advice.

Mark
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 1.0528] EL losses my throttle axis settings

Post by Vice »

Not sure on that one. The game is reactionary to what DirectInput is reporting to it is available and what the signals are, so it's strange that the three axis channels would be pegged to the left. It sounds like some kind of issue related to an artificially constructed external device configuration. A few initial questions:

- What is the actual device in that ID slot?

- Why is it being labelled 'CH Control Manager device 2' (which I see in the DXDIAG report is what it's labelled in Windows as well) rather than the device's actual name?

- Are you using some kind of external software program that is attempting to artificially generate devices and names in difference ID slots (possibly across fewer USB ports than actual devices) or some other non-standard external device configuration?

- Did this problem just begin recently since the latest Windows 10 update on Tuesday?

If you are trying to set up a non-default external device configuration that does not use the device's actual names/ports, try removing that go-between and access the devices directly with their actual names and port/control assignments. Then start the game and see how things work using the devices directly with their actual ID assignments and names.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Cougar_DK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Cougar_DK »

Hi Vice and thanks for taking the time :)

The device is a CH Pro Throttle.

CH Products can run in two modes: Mapped and Direct. In direct mode the devices appear in the Game Controllers applet under their own name and operate as normal Windows driven controllers with no options for programming. And in Mapped I can program a map for what button does what. I have made me a 4 devices map with my CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Throttle Quadrant and CH Pro Pedals that gives me around 32 buttons per stick with the use of a "shift" button. I use this map for Falcon BMS, DCS World, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad and Evochron Legacy. Thas mean I don't have to "program" the stick before each game and setup buttons in the different games.

Setting the sticks to Direct mode gives the 4 CH products their "product names and ID" both in Windows and EL.

I'm sure I haven't seen this problem before so the update could have something to do with it.

I have just activated my map and EL sees my 1-CH Control Manager Device 2 again like nothing had changed. I.e. my above picture now looks like this:

So sometimes EL somehow loses the connection to my Throttle when in mapped mode. None of the three other devices has this problem.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It may be something new if something broke in the Windows 10 update that rolled out this week (Windows 10 updates have broken input functionality before). And nothing has changed on the game side of things in relation to these control systems. So if it's new, it isn't likely related to the game update, but rather a Windows or other software update. Some devices also won't 'activate' until the controller is moved in a game. Other than these factors, I'm not sure what it would otherwise be since nothing else has changed.
StarWraith 3D Games
Cougar_DK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Cougar_DK »

Ok, lets see what happens :)

Thanks!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Another thing you can check is if/when you can cause it to happen again, immediately (even with the game still running), open the 'stickdevices.sw' file in notepad and post what it contains. If something isn't getting enumerated/sorted properly somewhere along the line from the external software program through to Windows, that file might pick up and display what the problem is (such as having two different devices being assigned the same name or something, misnamed devices, misaligned/altered order, changed list total, etc). Comparing before and after copies of the file might also help provide information on what may be happening.
StarWraith 3D Games
Cougar_DK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Cougar_DK »

Great I will do that and get back to you!