I\'m hooked!

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Leafhopper
Ensign
Ensign

I\'m hooked!

Post by Leafhopper »

Just installed the full game and I really am pleased with the functionality and graphics! Great game, but one big problem for me: after about 10 minutes the screen goes blank. I still have sound. No way to recover, must cntrl-alt-del and end program. This happens every time. I notice when the program closes I get the windows pre-desktop screen to click to re enter windows. Is this because of a "screen saver" situation?

Win XP Home, ASUS A8N Deluxe SLI, AMD 64 4000+, 2 gig ram, Geforce 7600GT with 256 meg. I use a background program killer before I launch. I also have Track IR3 and with it selected in options it does not respond. No stray light source.
d_k_k_y
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

I\'m hooked!

Post by d_k_k_y »

Hi and welcome.

To use IR3 you have to update your IR3 software. I think there is an option somewhere where you can download the latest game list. After this IR3 should work well.

The other problem could be an screensaver problem. Did you try to disable the screensaver?

Do you play by keyboard or joystick? There are some key kombinations with the "windows key" that could force windows to go to the pre-desktop screen (for example "windows key" + "L" ).

This are only a few first ideas. Vice (the programmer) might be able to help you better though ;).

Greets,
Daniel
StarWolves Clan
Captain
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

I\'m hooked!

Post by Vice »

Hello and welcome,

For TrackIR, the software needs to be updated for the latest games. To do this follow this procedure:

Launch the TrackIR software program. Click on Help, then Check for game updates...

From there, it will download the latest game information for the software program.

As for the blank screen, that does indeed sound like some kind of screen saver or power saver function kicking in. Especially since it occurs at 10 minutes every time. Could also be something with video. But check your system settings for some kind of time delayed hybernation or power save mode (right click on a blank area of your desktop, click on Properties, then click on Desktop, then click on the Power button, the tabs at the top of the window that opens control various timed display and system settings). I have heard of this problem before with GeForce hardware (occuring with any 3D game), if the problem continues, I'll research into it further.

[Edited on 11-24-2006 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Leafhopper
Ensign
Ensign

I\'m hooked!

Post by Leafhopper »

Okay, I never noticed the "game update" before (I had the latest driver) for TIR. I have done this now.

I found the screensaver was set for 10 minutes (that's suspicious) so I have disabled it - All my other games and sims aren't bothered by the screensaver so I'll try this disabled and see what happens. I'll let you know later when I have time to try it out.

I did see that the cpu runs at 100% with Arvock - that's a constant 100% - is that normal? MSFS9 and FSX rarely hit that high and then only momentarily.
I Play with CH Flight Sim Yoke.
Thanks for the quick replies!

[Edited on 11-24-2006 by Leafhopper]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

I\'m hooked!

Post by Vice »

I found the screensaver was set for 10 minutes (that's suspicious) so I have disabled it - All my other games and sims aren't bothered by the screensaver so I'll try this disabled and see what happens. I'll let you know later when I have time to try it out.
It's possible those other games involve using the mouse to play instead of a joystick, or at least you have to access the mouse more often, which can reset a screensaver. If you play a game where you're just using the joystick for 10 minutes, then the screensaver could kick in.
I did see that the cpu runs at 100% with Arvock - that's a constant 100% - is that normal? MSFS9 and FSX rarely hit that high and then only momentarily.
That is normal. That is a percentage of where your CPU resources are being applied, it's common for a 3D game to use just about all while running. You'll notice that when your system is just idle, the System Idle Process is also consuming 98-100% of your CPU resources. It's usually whatever priority task is running. Some applications have a passive/background mode that reduces CPU useage when in the background. Either way, you'll notice you can still perform other actions and run other applications, although performance can be effected depending on the resource needs of the running program(s). It's the reason you'll want to keep background tasks to a minimum when playing any game. It's not as much of a concern on a system as powerful as your's, but on lower systems, memory useage and CPU resources can become much more of an issue.
Thanks for the quick replies!
Certainly, I hope both are fixed.

[Edited on 11-24-2006 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
Leafhopper
Ensign
Ensign

I\'m hooked!

Post by Leafhopper »

Yes, it was the screen saver...I played the game for 45 minutes and no problems with that anymore. TIR however, still will not work. I have the CH Yoke hat set at off and 3d head tracking on. TIR3 drivers up to date and game update done, at least it says it was done with the automatic update. Since it does not tell me what games are being updated I am not sure. How can I tell?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

I\'m hooked!

Post by Vice »

Launch the TrackIR software program. Click on the Profiles tab at the top. Make sure Arvoch Conflict is listed there. If it's not, then the software hasn't been updated. Make sure you select 'Check for Game Updates...' and not just 'Check for Software Updates...'
StarWraith 3D Games
Leafhopper
Ensign
Ensign

I\'m hooked!

Post by Leafhopper »

It was listed but not automatically working for some reason, I have to select it as exclusive load. All systems are working now.
This is a GREAT sim but not easy. A lot to learn.
All in time, I'm sure!

Are any of previous titles TIR ready? Will they be at some time?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

I\'m hooked!

Post by Vice »

All in time, I'm sure!
Yeah, it can seem pretty daunting at first. It's the only space-sim I know of that simulates things like full freedom of movement with variable input control options, gravity, atmosphere descent effects, Newtonian physics, and multiple shield arrays... all in the same game. But that also keeps things diverse and interesting. Once you've learned the basic controls, you can play the game pretty well. There are just a lot of additional layers of gameplay available to you to expand your abilities and keep the game challenging.

There is a strategy guide I'm working on that will provide a lot of additional tactics and instruction you can use to further master the game.
Are any of previous titles TIR ready? Will they be at some time?
Evochron Alliance 2.0 is in the final stages of beta testing and will support TrackIR. It will likely be available in early December and is a major update to the current Evochron Alliance. 2.0 is a free update for registered players of 1.0.
StarWraith 3D Games
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

I\'m hooked!

Post by tha_rami »

Originally posted by Leafhopper
All in time, I'm sure!
The game is as they call it, easy to learn but hard to master. Basic tactics include fly-by's, frontal attacks, basic defense and missile management. Advanced tactics include the IDS, environmental combat, advanced defense and squadron strategy.

You'll learn all in time, definetly.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Leafhopper
Ensign
Ensign

I\'m hooked!

Post by Leafhopper »

So now I purchased Evochron Alliance! I'm sick, I need help!
I'll play it without TIR knowing that will be coming in the near future! I can't fly anything for long without my TIR!!!
I'm sooo glad game developers are finally catching on to the single greatest piece of hardware ever for immersion! Congrats to Starwraith for seeing the way of the future!

[Edited on 11-25-2006 by Leafhopper]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

I\'m hooked!

Post by Vice »

If everything goes well, 2.0 should be available by next weekend. :)
StarWraith 3D Games