[EL 1.02X-1.0308] Custom save folder location conflict... *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Arkblade
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 1.02X-1.0308] Custom save folder location conflict... *INFO*

Post by Arkblade »

this update delete my savedata...
pilot0.sw, maplog0.sw, flightlog0.sw all deleted on each game launch.

i using savedir.txt and setting to document foldier.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Evochron Legacy 1.0308 Update...

Post by Vice »

The game itself using default parameters won't delete such files, worst thing it would do is rename them to '-bak' files when you choose to delete the save game(s) in the pilot manager menu or move them to a backup folder if you manually sync cloud saves. So the files are probably still in the original location or somewhere else, unless you moved/deleted them manually or set up conflicting folder locations. The savedir.txt file might not be in the right place, resulting in the game looking for save files in the default save data folder location at c:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy, which might make it look like they were deleted. If you're using the Steam version of the game, an additional copy is also kept in the user folder tree that is synched with the cloud save system (ie \Users\YourPCName\My Documents\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy ).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Arkblade
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Arkblade »

no, all system work normally on 1.0298.
also i don't change anything of savedir.txt and save foldier.

It is really odd that my save removed each time.

however, I will be able to provide additional information.
i using steam version and my savedir is (My Documents\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy ).
and i change my savedir to another foldier. it seem to stop save delete.

i guese this bug happens if user savedir setting to (My Documents\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy ).

ps: i'm using windows 10 and moved My Documents foldier to another drive.
Last edited by Arkblade on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Well, there hasn't been such a change in this build compared to 1.0298, those read/write/save systems are still the same as before. Make sure you don't conflict the Steam cloud save location with your custom savedir location, they should be different. Put your custom location perhaps in the 'My Games' folder within My Documents, or in some other folder, but not the same as the Steam cloud save folder location in \Users.

I could understand if the savedir.txt file got removed or moved somehow, but otherwise, there shouldn't be any change since those are still the same systems as with 1.02X. Again though, just be sure to separate the cloud save folder from your custom save folder location. This line of posts provides some useful information on save folders, I may splinter them off into a tech support thread for future reference.

Edit in reply to your edit:
i guese this bug happens if user savedir setting to (My Documents\sw3dg\EvochronLegacy ).
Not really a bug, you just can't have your primary save data folder overwrite/overlap the Steam cloud save folder. You need to keep them separate so they can manage their files as each system (game and Steam) needs to. This is true for any 1.02X or 1.03X build of the game, so it's a good rule to keep in mind. Once you separate them as needed, you should be able to restore all of your save files from the cloud next time you launch the game.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations