[EL 1.0298] Game crashes after exiting Shipyard *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Manifestopheles
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 1.0298] Game crashes after exiting Shipyard *INFO*

Post by Manifestopheles »

Hello folks, I'm making a new topic for this one since I couldn't find any existing discussions on it.
I've been playing Evochron Legacy for a while now and I've been enjoying the game immensely so far. I was finally on my way to make some significant upgrades to my ship, but each time I enter the Shipyard I can't save any changes I make since the game crashes once I exit it, regardless of whether I make the trade or not. Each time the screen goes black, then the shipyard screen comes up again for a while only I can't interact with it and then the program simply stops responding.
I don't think it's a problem with my memory tbh, since it has been running fine even on my crappy pc, and I've made some minor upgrades before. I've also tried reinstalling the game to no avail. I'm quite upset by this happening every time since I was really looking forward to making some progress in the game, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Game crashes after exiting Shipyard

Post by Vice »

Please follow the posting guidelines for this section of the forum: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... =26&t=4651

Without details (system specs, version number, shipyard parameters, location, etc), it's difficult to say. Could be anything from display resources to some kind of read/write problem. I will need to take a closer look at your system and possibly the save game to try and determine more. Please follow the steps at this link to send me a zipped msinfo report on your system: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/faq.htm#208
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Manifestopheles
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Manifestopheles »

Thanks for the help, I've sent you the zip via email, including the nfo file and the saves. I'm looking forward to your reply. :)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks for the report. It does appear to be related to running out of memory. The crash is occurring right when the game attempts to reload/rebuild the cockpit structure as you exit the shipyard and it needs a certain minimum level of memory to perform those operations. Your video card in a GeForce 9800 GT with 512 MB of video memory, which is below the minimum requirement of 1 GB of video memory for the game. The game likely needs at least about another 256 MB of video memory at that stage. A little more core memory may also help (you have 4 GB installed, but only about 1.7 of it available). Here is what I would initially suggest:

- Try turning off the 3D cockpit first, then test existing the shipyard again for any changes. If the problem persists try the steps below in addition to this.

- Change detail settings to the lowest possible values, especially shadow detail, texture detail, and star detail. Test exiting the shipyard again for any changes.

- Try reducing the number of background tasks running at the same time, then launch and test exiting the shipyard for changes.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations