Second Campaign Mission?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
jeb
Ensign
Ensign

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by jeb »

Ok, I'm new to this game, but something has apparently missed my attention... How the hell are you supposed to beat the second campaign mission? In the middle of the mission there appears an enemy ship with super-killer-missiles or something, because every time I try, I get a message "missile warning" and then I'm dead. Sometimes I can live a few seconds longer by hitting TAB, but it doesn't really help in the long run.

Sooo... What's the cheat code that you people use? :P
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by tha_rami »

None, there's no cheat for that - there's simply a button for countermeasures (CM's). Repeatedly press the 'countermeasure'-button (default: 'C') - this will launch countermeasures. Approximatly three of them will counter most missiles. Try getting more tactical with CM's by timing their use. The closer a missile is, the more effective a CM is.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
jeb
Ensign
Ensign

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by jeb »

Bah, I give up. The last few attempts I was able to stop that new ship by waiting for it and sending off two of my own missiles as soon as it gets within range, but I still die all the time. I don't know why, suddenly I just explode.

Nice game otherwise, reminds me of Descent Freespace, but for some reason I can't handle it :)
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by Jeremy »

Are you pressing the CM button(C) when you get the missile warning alert?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by Vice »

Turn away from the missile(s), hold the C key down to evade them. Likewise, you can also manually gun down incoming missiles, once you're a good enough shot.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
jeb
Ensign
Ensign

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by jeb »

Gah! I felt obligied to make more attempts, but they always end the same way! Either I die by something that I can't see, or I die before the female voice has finished the sentence "Warning Missile Alert" or whatever she says. Is there a difficulty settings somewhere? Maybe I should RTFM...

EDIT: Btw, we are three people now who haven't been able to beat this mission. We are trying to figure out what the deal is, hehe...

[Edited on 10-30-2006 by jeb]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by Vice »

Instructions are good, training is good, practicing in training session 5 is good, learning to fly the ship in the freeflight mode is good. Try also not to make it an easy shot for them by flying in directly at them, then letting them take a head-on missile shot at you from about 1000 meters away. That leaves your CM's little time to be effective and makes you more vulnerable. Approach at an angle so you can change course away from any incoming missiles quickly. Also, keep your speed high. Fly too slow and you make yourself an easy kill for them.

If necessary, give orders to your wingmen to attack the closest hostile ships while you remain further back so you aren't vulernable at all, then move in when things cool down to where you can join in.

[Edited on 10-30-2006 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
jeb
Ensign
Ensign

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by jeb »

Originally posted by Vice
If necessary, give orders to your wingmen to attack the closest hostile ships while you remain further back so you aren't vulernable at all, then move in when things cool down to where you can join in.
Mmkay... About this last part, what order should I give them? If I give them the order to engage, they commit suicide with the minefield, and if I order them to cover me they don't seem to do anything. The problem isn't the 4 first enemy ships, it's that last one that appears behind the minefield (and I think there is another one after that).
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by tha_rami »

Ah... Watch out with the mines - they are very explosive. Try to watch your shields as you blow each mine - really, those things can damage you from a huge distance.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by Vice »

You need to order them to attack a specific target, not just use general orders. Target that inbound ship when it appears, then order your wingmen to attack that target. Repeat as necessary. You can do that while you focus your attack on the mines.
StarWraith 3D Games
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Second Campaign Mission?

Post by verbosity »

when I did this mission I took out a couple of fighters then concentrated on the mines ordering my wingmen to attack their closest target. as soon as it seemed I might need to fight, i'd hit the afterburner fire, a couple of missiles then go back to mine killing. If you run out of missiles you can reload at a supply ship. the counter-measure missiles are also important.

My biggest bit of advice is this:
Do the training..
everyone who has replied to you have played previous games BY SW3D, but even I had to do the training to get equiped to play properly.
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies