[EM 2.928, EL demo] Strange mouse jumping problem *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
NFossil
Ensign
Ensign

Post by NFossil »

The problem was, under mouse point mode, when the cursor was on the top or left edge of the screen, it would either briefly or constantly jump to the opposite edge of the screen, causing the ship to turn in the opposite direction from intended.

I searched first and found this thread with the same problem:

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11880

There the problem was solved by cleaning the touchscreen, which I don't have. I do have an external pen tablet, but disconnecting didn't solve the problem.

I seemingly solved the problem by changing the screen mode from Optimized to Locked (can't remember which vsync setting it was). Somehow the problem didn't even come back up after switching it back to Optimized.

Tried this again in EL demo 1.0208. Changed screen mode from Optimized no vsync to just Optimized, then to Locked. Again problem solved after changing to locked but not between the two Optimized options, and did not come back after changing back to Optimized from Locked.

I admit this is a minor issue probably related to very specific hardware configurations, and can be circumvented by playing with mouse direction instead of mouse point. Now I just want to let others know how I fixed it.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Are you using a Logitech mouse?

Another factor that may apply is using a Logitech mouse with their mouse acceleration option (available in the automatic game detection section of their software, LGS, accessible via Start > All Programs > Logitech > Logitech Gaming Software). Another possibility might be the 'enhanced pointer precision' option in the mouse configuration menu within Windows, but so far, positive test results have been focused on the option within the Logitech configuration program. When disabled, the problem goes away and it no longer feeds out of range mouse values to the game when the cursor reaches the up/left edges of the screen.

Edit: updated for clarification on the two options.

[Edited on 4-4-2016 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
NFossil
Ensign
Ensign

Post by NFossil »

Yes, although I don't know if the mouse itself has the feature, the mouse is Logitech and the "enhanced pointer precision" option in windows 10 has been on (didn't know that was a thing until now). However, I haven't gotten the problem again after changing the screen mode despite leaving the option on.

I saw the other thread that solved it through mouse problems after submitting this thread. Funny how the same problem could be solved 3 unrelated ways.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

When testing for this issue (on one particular system that encountered it), I discovered that the problem stems from Logitech's software/driver feeding out a value of something like 7,306 on the X axis when the pointer reaches the far left of the screen and feeding out a value of 36,408 on the Y axis when the pointer reaches the top of the screen. Obviously, neither of those values are valid and neither value should apply. The values should hold at 0. So why it does this, I can't say. But when the game receives those values, it will direct the mouse pointer as it is being told to by the mouse signals and put the pointer at the opposite edge of the screen at the maximum valid limit (which will generally be at/near the display you are using).

Currently, it would seem the only fix is to either disable Logitech's mouse acceleration (maybe in conjunction with or as an alternative to the enhanced pointer precision option) or switch screen modes in the game to change how their software is sending/managing mouse values (which may be a specific problem with their software/driver and Windows 10). The only other option would be to report it to them in the hopes they might fix it at some point in a driver/software update in the future.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations