Opinions on FaceTrackNoIR or double joysticks?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Ducimus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ducimus »

So, i'm kinda on a budget, but want to up my gameplay experience.

FaceTrackNoIR, is this worthy buying a webcam for? Anyone have any firsthand knowledge on it? How does it stack up to TrackIR? Just opinions in general if you have any on it.

Double joysticks. Now theres an idea. A HOTAS would be nice, but the only one I'd consider due to pricing is Thurstmaster TFlight X, however what throws me off is the cord between the stick and the throttle. I think it might be too short, that and the lack of a button on the thumb on the joystick throws me off too.

So then i thought, hey.. double joystick? Of course id need a left handed one, but ahhh, opinions? Will EL work with double joysticks?

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Thanks.

[Edited on 3-1-2016 by Ducimus]
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

I use FaceTrackNoIR with an LED clip and it works perfectly. I've never used TrackIR, so I don't know how they compare, but form what I've seen of videos of TrackIR, FaceTrackNoIR seems to work pretty much just as well.

I did try it with just the facial recognition option, but that doesn't work very well... you need to be in a dark room and it frequently loses track. With an LED clip, the pointrack option works perfectly.

You'll also need a webcam with a high fps, modified for detecting infrared. I found on eBay a cheap LED clip and modified playstation webcam, which has 120 fps. Cost me less than 40$ including postage. With a little extra effort you could probably construct an LED clip and modify a decent webcam yourself for less money.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Ducimus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ducimus »

From post: 186155, Topic: tid=12505, author=Sinbad wrote:
I did try it with just the facial recognition option, but that doesn't work very well... you need to be in a dark room and it frequently loses track. With an LED clip, the pointrack option works perfectly.
Thanks. I was afraid that would be the case. I was hoping i could just get a halfway decent webcam, setup the software and be good to go for 30 bucks or so. Of course, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. :D

I can't say modifying camera's or creating LED sensors sounds like my forte. I guess a hat switch with a snap view will just have to do. What I really wish for is an affordable USB throttle control that was sold independently, and not tethered or bundled with another stick. I've been using a logitech extreme 3d pro with no complaints, I just wish i could find an analog usb throttle to pair with it. I don't think there is any such product that wouldn't cost 3 to 4 times as much as that joystick.
Marcellus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Marcellus »

I dual wield joysticks with the thrustmaster tm16k for lefty and the Logitech extreme 3d pro on my right and it works great on legacy, no problems. The thrust master costs $45.99 now on amazon, about the same price I got mine. You get the twist action like the 3d pro and the accuracy of the hall effect sensors. With the new control update, you can make the hats work like buttons. I own a CH hotas, expensive but good quality but once I started dual wielding joysticks I never went back to my CH setup.

[Edited on 3-1-2016 by Marcellus]

[Edited on 3-1-2016 by Marcellus]

\"Gonna give \'em some Maniac magic!\"