[EL 1.0138] (Steam) Game freezes when trying to join multiplayer *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Mr. Callahan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr. Callahan »

Running Windows 7 64bit, an I7, and a GTX 970. Single player works fine, but when I join any multiplayer (public servers, my own LAN server) it freezes at the "Connecting" screen. Music still plays, but I have to force quit. I can alt-tab, alt-F4, etc., but nothing else has any effect. Sometimes when I force quit it will show on the server that I disconnected while trying to join, other times it shows nothing. I have left it for 10+ minutes to see if anything changes, but it remains at that screen. I tried reinstalling the game, and I don't think it has anything to do with my router. I fired up Mercenary and connected to a few servers just to make sure, but I have no trouble with any other multiplayer games.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Since this is a new game, have you checked any security software you may have in place to allow the game to fully connect? If Mercenary works and Legacy doesn't, it suggests you may have something in the background interrupting the game from connecting. Both games use the same multiplayer system. So I'd initially suggest making sure you've given the game permission/exception with any security programs or software firewalls you may have in place.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Mr. Callahan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr. Callahan »

Windows Firewall is off. I use the router firewall. I don't have any active security/antivirus software, I just do periodic scans.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Not sure what it could be then, sounds like something is trapping the game from proceeding with the log in process. Additionally strange since EM uses the same multiplayer system, just different ports. If you'll send a msinfo report on the system, I can try to analyze it for possible causes: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/faq.htm#208
StarWraith 3D Games
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,
From post: 184565, Topic: tid=12391, author=Mr. Callahan wrote:Windows Firewall is off. I use the router firewall. I don't have any active security/antivirus software, I just do periodic scans.
A few years ago I had a similar problem, it turned out that the routers firewall was blocking the connection.

This only happened to one game, other in the same series all worked fine.

You will have to check the routers instructions.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
Mr. Callahan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mr. Callahan »

It's working now. I didn't change anything, I was just playing some other games throughout the day, and it worked when I tried it. I guess if it happens again I'll dig deeper to see what's going on.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Router issue. Be sure to port forward or just DMZ :P though everyone suggests otherwise
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
starschulz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by starschulz »

This started happening to me yesterday. If it turns out it is a router issue, what do i need to look for to fix it?
starschulz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by starschulz »

Hmm, i have tried both the port forwarding and messing with the firewall but nothing has changed, i still cannot connect to any server.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Please send me a msinfo report on your system, it might help me determine more. http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/faq.htm#208

Keep in mind that the problem with the OP's system was the game was freezing when they tried to join, indicating something was interrupting and trapping the game from being allowed to continue at the time of connecting. If you just can't connect to a server, but can return to the server list or main menu, that would likely be a different issue and is probably just some form of port/connection blocking. Security programs and router settings would be things to check.
StarWraith 3D Games
starschulz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by starschulz »

Sent.

It is freezing on the connecting screen, and the only thing i can do from there is force close the game.

EDIT: Turns out the culprit was Nero 7, after uninstalling it and restarting i can connect to servers again! woo hoo!

[Edited on 2-13-2016 by starschulz]