Legacy Travel Buddy

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Legacy Travel Buddy

Post by Marvin »

The Navigator's Assistant (previously known as the Travel Buddy) is now available at SeeJay's website, under the Legacy section. The Assistant functions as follows:
  • Displays an accurate range to destination ... even beyond 999 sectors.
  • Let's you know if you've failed to enter destination coordinates.
  • Checks if your inertial drive and energy bias are properly set for long trips.
  • When the range to your destination is greater than 10 sectors, it gives estimated time en route and required fuel.
  • When traveling via standard propulsion, it displays an AVL speed readout in sub-sectors per hour.
The Assistant comes with a short ReadMe file, explaining how to install and operate the program.
DreadMetis
Ensign
Ensign

Legacy Travel Buddy

Post by DreadMetis »

The explorator in me thank you very much Marvin ! :cool:

In deep space, no one will hear you kwaack !!
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Legacy Travel Buddy

Post by Bodega »

Thanks Marvin!

Marvin: You might want to edit the readme to add a section for steam users.
I use an SSD for my main OS drive and I have my games on 2 other hard drives.
My game is in my F:\\SteamLibrary\\steamapps\\common\\Evochron Legacy
The game, [bold]by default[/bold] puts it's data in c:\\sw3dg\\evochronlegacy

I put a file, in my game's STEAM directory called: Savedatasettings.txt
the contents of this file tell EL where to store an additional file called savedata.txt. This file is used for data that 3rd party tools can extract.
The contents of the savedatasettings.txt file is:

Code: Select all

c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy\\

On a default install, the game is installed to the same data directory but on steam I have the game directory and the data directory. This data directory can be changed also but it might be worth stating that you need the Navigator tool in the same directory as your savedata.txt

Wow, Sorry that is confusing. Too early.

Too use this tool, you press 'Engage'. Make sure your power is set to +5 Weapons to recharge your warp faster and be more economical. Then just plot a course in the Nav map and use autopilot.

From the manual:

Code: Select all

To change the save data folder where the game stores settings and profiles, create a text file in the game's new location you want (in the game's folder where you installed the game and where the EvochronLegacy.exe file is located) named savedir.txt and in the first line, put the drive and folder location. The game automatically adds the \\sw3dg and the \\EvochronLegacy folder names, so you only need to list the drive and folders that come before those. 

For example, if you just move the \\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy folder group (both \\sw3dg and \\EvochronLegacy) from C to D, your savedir.txt file would have this in the first line: 

d:\\ 

With nothing else after it. The game will add the \\sw3dg and \\EvochronLegacy folder names and use the new location. 

To skip the intro movie to the game, create a text file with the name novideo.txt in the same folder as the EXE. It can contain any value. 

You can optionally save in-game display data values out to an external text file for use with 3rd party programs and/or devices. To activate the system, create a text file in the game's install folder (where the EXE is located) named savedatasettings.txt Inside the file needs to be an integer value to specify the update rate for the game to use in milliseconds. A good setting to start with is 5000, or 5 second updates, which will generally keep the update rate pretty low and shouldn't impact game performance much. The game will create a file named 'savedata.txt' in the same folder as the EXE.
[Edited on 1-23-2016 by Bodega]
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Legacy Travel Buddy

Post by Sinbad »

Awesome Marvin! Looking forward to using it again in EL. But I'm afraid the name Travel Buddy has already stuck with me! :D

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Legacy Travel Buddy

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Bodega, thanks for the info. I know a couple people who plan on installing the game via Steam ... so, since your post is so close to the top of this thread, I'll direct them here.
Janus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Legacy Travel Buddy

Post by Janus »

Well, I can't get this to work. It's not picking up the game date. I have the game installed in it's default location of C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy. I have the savedatasettings with 2000 on the first line and C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy on the 2nd line and it doesn't pick up my speed or my control mode, (inertial/ids). I've created the SaveDir file as well. I've ran it in regular mode and as Administrator. It just doesn't pick up the game information. I don't see a savedata.txt file in my installation folder. I did see one in the main c:\\sw3d folder though.

Any idea of what's going on here?
ADMIN Starport 6
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Legacy Travel Buddy

Post by Bodega »

Hi Janus, so you're not seeing the savedata.txt? Are you using a Steam version or regular version from the website?

The savedatasettings.txt should be in your game's install directory, meaning the directory with the evochronlegacy.exe
Mine savedatasettings.txt looks like:
c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy\\
You may need the trailing '\\'. Maybe the game isn't adding that and it's trying to make c:\\sw3dg\\evochronlegacysavedata.txt instead of c:\\sw3dg\\evochronlegacy\\savedata.txt
Janus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Legacy Travel Buddy

Post by Janus »

That did it. I was missing the trailing "\\". Working great now. Thanks. I really appreciate it.
ADMIN Starport 6
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Legacy Travel Buddy

Post by Bodega »

From post: 184502, Topic: tid=12271, author=Janus wrote:That did it. I was missing the trailing "\\". Working great now. Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Good to hear. It's a great tool especially when looking for hidden systems. I actually did my first trilateration the other day to find a hidden star. I found it and was only off by 4 sectors. So easy once you understand it.