Question about editing the HUD.

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
egobag
Ensign
Ensign

Post by egobag »

Hello,

I've tweaked a few HUD elements successfully like the gunsight in modes 1 and 2 which seems to be successfully influenced by whatever color you choose in-game, but some other icons like target and waypoint icons always seem to show up as white/gray and not the original colour - if for example I try to edit the default waypoint icon by simply blacking out part of the icon and change nothing else it will show up in-game as white instead of the default yellow.

I'm sure it's something quite simple I'm missing, so would somebody be so kind as to fill me in?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Many of the HUD icons have shadows. You can download the Customizing kit and look at the demo icons for the HUD. Most of the shadows are labeled as such.
egobag
Ensign
Ensign

Post by egobag »

From post: 183986, Topic: tid=12349, author=Marvin wrote:Many of the HUD icons have shadows. You can download the Customizing kit and look at the demo icons for the HUD. Most of the shadows are labeled as such.
I edited the shadows as well, simply by inverting the original and renaming the file appropriately. Should I not use shadows for certain icons? I just assumed it was appropriate to use a shadow if an icon has one associated with it.

EDIT:

Nevermind, it suddenly struck me what might be my problem..

I've just left the images in grayscale and haven't adjusted the colors myself.

Oops. How embarassing :)

[Edited on 1-2-2016 by egobag]
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

From post: 183994, Topic: tid=12349, author=egobag wrote: I edited the shadows as well, simply by inverting the original and renaming the file appropriately. Should I not use shadows for certain icons? I just assumed it was appropriate to use a shadow if an icon has one associated with it.

EDIT:

Nevermind, it suddenly struck me what might be my problem..

I've just left the images in grayscale and haven't adjusted the colors myself.

Oops. How embarassing :)

[Edited on 1-2-2016 by egobag]
Actually you did nothing wrong mate, gray scale is needed for the colour to work. What I did notice in the sample kit was additional icons named xxxx-yellow. With the same shape that I can only presume means the icon will get a yellow hue.

The HUD colour changer in game appears to work with a greyscale image as the colour is always applied just darker or lighter areas in your images just get more or less of the HUE applied. Inverting the image you made in grey scale is also how to make the shadows :) have a test using the icons with a colour in the file name and see if that fixes your issue.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

The EM Customizing Kit also had gray scale icons. You had to add color yourself. Admittedly, there was no in-game adjustment for the HUD hues ... but I'm not sure all the icons in Legacy are adjusted via the in-game color option. Nav Map icons, for example, remain their default colors. If you decide to modify one of them, you need to use GIMP or a similar program to add tint. I used GIMP to tint the green, blue and yellow targeting arrows ... and it works just fine. The untinted arrow remains gray.