[EL] Thrustmaster T. Flight Hotas X not detected at all in steam version of EL after working fine in the Demo *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
UnholyGenocide
Ensign
Ensign

[EL] Thrustmaster T. Flight Hotas X not detected at all in steam version of EL after working fine in the Demo *FIXED*

Post by UnholyGenocide »

I downloaded the demo for Evochron Legacy and tried it today before committing to the purchase. Got my stick set up fine except for a weird hiccup, but a relaunch of the game solved that. Get into the first tutorial and do the things, everything is fine.

I decide I like it enough to buy, but when I get into the game after purchasing on steam and go to check on my axis setups to see if they carried over, I realize by stick is no longer responsive and no amount of restarting the game makes it detect my stick. Tried making a new pilot thinking maybe since I used the demo one that was the issue, but it changed nothing.

I don't know what else to do, and searching has yielded nothing except a guy with an X55 having the issue. I have tried everything short of a full reinstall of the game which I will be trying momentarily. Windows and other games detect the stick fine but this one does not. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I sincerely don't want to have to request a refund for this game as it seems like something I would love to play, provided I can get my stick to work.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

What flight control mode are you set to in the main Options menu? Perhaps that got flipped somehow?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
UnholyGenocide
Ensign
Ensign

Post by UnholyGenocide »

Joystick/Gamepad according to the options screen.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Not sure then, especially since the demo is the same as the full game (same control systems and everything). So none of the axis channels respond nor buttons? Which device ID are you using in the configuration menus and is more than one ID detected by the game?
StarWraith 3D Games
UnholyGenocide
Ensign
Ensign

Post by UnholyGenocide »

It seems to be detecting 4 devices, not sure if by ID you mean the device number shown at the top of the screen. None of the axis channels are responding when looking at any of the 4 devices. Tried binding a function using a button on the joystick just now and the buttons aren't responding either.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Strange, not sure what it could be. But you can try this:

Start > Run (or taskbar search in Windows 10) > type in JOY.CPL and press enter. Highlight the control device, click on Advanced. Set the device as the preferred controller from the menu, then click on OK. Launch and test the game for changes.
StarWraith 3D Games
UnholyGenocide
Ensign
Ensign

Post by UnholyGenocide »

Think I just figured it out! Just happened to glance over and see my steam controller sitting on the desk, and recalled I had it's wireless receiver plugged in. Unplugged it from the back of my pc and relaunched the game and now the stick is being detected.

Seems the game was trying to default to the steam controller, not sure why though since it was off the entire time. Will try plugging it back in and trying your suggestion to see if that fixes it, but if not, at least I know what to do. Thanks for the prompt responses.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

With some controllers (and their drivers), I've run into scenarios where a particular device bumps an already established preferred device out and replaces/displaces it (or otherwise changes the device order). Can be intermittent, often after a driver update or swap of USB ports for devices (such as plugging in/installing a new device). However, the result has often just been a loss of one or more axis channels, but not the entire device. I wouldn't be surprised though if such an override could happen, just seems strange that an entire device would be lost on any ID channel since the game supports up to 10 simultaneous devices at once.
StarWraith 3D Games
UnholyGenocide
Ensign
Ensign

Post by UnholyGenocide »

Yeah, it's definitely bizarre. I've never had anything like this happen before in the 2 years I've used the stick. After running JOY.CPL I realized that was one of the first things I'd tried doing. It didn't work for me at the time, but seems to have resolved it this time. Wireless receiver is plugged in and the game is detecting my stick.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Glad you got it sorted.
StarWraith 3D Games