Modifying the cfg

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Modifying the cfg

Post by viper691 »

I have a really good gaming computer and wanted to do some editing to really push the engine to its limits with LOD and detail settings. Planetary landings is cool but i noticed a pretty aggressive LOD that makes a kinda jarring entry to planet.

Where would i find the settings to change to really up the graphics to maximum on the planetary terrain etc?
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Modifying the cfg

Post by Bodega »

I only know of this:
To apply custom screen settings, create a text file in the game's install folder named swscreen.txt Two integer values are used to specify the antialiasing mode and the monitor mode using the following layout for the options: Antialiasing mode (ie 2, 4, 8, etc)
Monitor mode (0 = Off, 1 = multiple monitor mode)

There might be other settings in there we don't know about. Also,
I know in EM, people used ENB and their GPU control panel to apply bloom, and more settings and tweaks with some good results.

[Edited on 1-23-2016 by Bodega]

viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Modifying the cfg

Post by viper691 »

Kk thanks I'll check into reshade at some point and play with some settings. Really just wanted to get high resolution textures loading about 5-10 times broader range and multiples sooner as well. The effect currently is such that you see small squares loading in at a time and it makes it look rough.
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Modifying the cfg

Post by Bodega »

yeah, that's probably all stuff for Vice to tweak with the planet terrain engine. He strives to make the game as accessible as possible to people so he includes a lot of different LODs for different system specs. A lot of the EM stuff should apply to EL as far as custom textures and models go, so I'm sure people will make more hi-poly models. I used some hi-res textures in EM, but haven't tried them in EL.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Modifying the cfg

Post by Vice »

That and there are objectives now to try and keep framerates at 75 minimum on certain system configurations to try and support VR systems like Oculus (which is moving up to 90 FPS for CV1 as far as I know). Trying to do that without harshly cutting detail levels compared to players using regular monitor setups has been quite the balancing act to say the least. But I digress.

Yes, there are a few tuning options for planet terrain in terms of mesh detail. However, it's easy to push things into exceeding memory/performance limits and can create some unwanted side effects. However, I may provide instructions on setting such options in the near future for those who want to give it a try. Focus for me now though is getting the baseline of everything working as well as I reasonably can.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
viper691
Ensign
Ensign

Modifying the cfg

Post by viper691 »

Thanks for the response, I'm looking forward to giving that a try when you get a chance. I tried to look briefly for settings but didn't see anything overtly obvious.
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Modifying the cfg

Post by Bodega »

Thanks Vice, I'm also looking forward to that.

I was messing with SweetFX and ENB. SweetFX works very nicely. All the filters loaded without me having to reload the game. Not sure I see much benefit from the FXAA and SMAA. Some of the others are just novelty. I was interested in playing with the saturation, bloom levels tho.

I tried ENB but the game wouldn't start. (I tried the wrapper version). The injector version let the game start but I didn't see any difference.
I am also using the Discord public test build which adds an overlay and that didn't play well with EL either, the game wouldn't start and if I enabled the overlay while the game was running it would immediately crash to desktop, no error message.

There's no anti-cheat routine that's going to flag me for a VAC ban, right?

Noddy
Ensign
Ensign

Modifying the cfg

Post by Noddy »

I only know of this:
To apply custom screen settings, create a text file in the game's install folder named swscreen.txt Two integer values are used to specify the antialiasing mode and the monitor mode using the following layout for the options: Antialiasing mode (ie 2, 4, 8, etc)
Monitor mode (0 = Off, 1 = multiple monitor mode)

If I wanted to up my aa to 16 how would I type this in the file and would it appear as an option in the game menu..

Sorry for my nubness
:mad:
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Modifying the cfg

Post by matchbox2022 »

For those kinds of settings I'd either use an injector or simply the video cards driver gui to adjust settings. For example, in there I can select up to 16x antialiasing. (though I never would use it on LCD)
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Noddy
Ensign
Ensign

Modifying the cfg

Post by Noddy »

Ty for you answer.

Am using 361.43 Nvidea drivers and I only get the option of x8 for aa. Also why go no higher than 8 on an lcd... this is obviously something that Nvidea and you know that I don't ;)

Am asking these questions because although my setup isn't high end it's able to run EL with everything maxed out using the highest DSR setting from the Nvidea control panel which results in a 3840x2160 res on my 24" lcd at well over 60fps (my monitor refresh rate) in all situations it seems and thought had room for higher gfx settings.

setup. 970, I5 4590, 16gb ddr3, WIN 7 64.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Modifying the cfg

Post by matchbox2022 »

It depends on the LCD, mine has a certain pixel density which anything beyond 4x, is wasted processing power because it can't physically display it, kinda like people who let their fps go to 100 or so with a 60hz monitor, makes no sense to enable since you can't actually see it...might as well save power and temps for when things get intense.

You can FORCE it to do so, usually it's in the registry, can always try coolbits if it's still being developed, basically via the registry it tells the driver to do something it wouldn't normally do but is an option. I think nvidia inspector / rivatuner are both similarly capable. (I know rivatuner is since I can adjust basically everything GPU or direct X related on it, but it might not be developed any more)...example attached for my vCard.

I haven't tried it myself, and it's a tad blurrier I believe, but FXAA injectors are a very low tasking GPU power option...and may be able to essentially blur what you want at minimal performance cost compared to brute Super/Multi AA.
I'm surprised you can see jaggies at that native resolution, that's pretty nice.

[Edited on 1-27-2016 by matchbox2022]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Noddy
Ensign
Ensign

Modifying the cfg

Post by Noddy »

Ahh that is interesting your comments about the pixel density as this monitor is pretty much run of the mill so I suspect I am wasting power as well.

As far as the jaggies are concerned I think I am overstating things here and being a little bit picky ! Am an Elite Dangerous owner as well and I get frustrated by the jaggies at the station letterbox in that game and I am looking maybe too hard at curved lines in ALL games now, which is a bit mad because why complain if you have to look really hard to see something ?

I need to get out more :o

No, my main thing is if I appear to have an excess of power to run EL maybe there are other graphical settings in the cfg I could turn up.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Modifying the cfg

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

From post: 183304, Topic: tid=12275, author=Bodega wrote: A lot of the EM stuff should apply to EL as far as custom textures and models go, so I'm sure people will make more hi-poly models. I used some hi-res textures in EM, but haven't tried them in EL.
Just a note, I spent the last few days finding out what was possible with EL.

Just make sure anything you try and convert over is from EM2.x not EM1.x as EM2.x had a rewrite of some things and the textures for things like Nebula and Details in EL use the same folder structure as EM2.x

You also need to use the cube map generator to make the six sided cube images then rename them to what ever skybox you want it for :), I spent last few hours working this out and here is the result.

(Taken from my upcoming Overhaul Project for LE)

[Edited on 28/03/1987 by Misunderstood Wookie]