EL & EM - does not start *SOLVED* - check your drivers!

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Biscuit390
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Biscuit390 »

Hello again vice (it's been a while :P)

When I try to start EL, the process runs but appears to 'stop' immediately afterwards (but isn't actually terminated).

I have two dump files, here if they're useful to you

Thanks,

edit: DxDiag coming soon
edit2: do we not have spoiler tags?
edit3: DxDiag

[Edited on 23/1/2016 by Biscuit390]

[Edited on 24/1/2016 by Biscuit390]

[Edited on 25/1/2016 by Biscuit390]
Callsign: Max
Find me on Ceti Alpha V and Galactica 1!

We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!

\"I suppose there is one good thing about dying in space combat. You get an instant free space-viking funeral.\"
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bodega »

No spoiler tags on the forum.
Are you running Discord per chance?
I noticed today that when I enabled the overlay that it would prevent EL from starting, and then if I started it while EL was already running EL would close.

I'm not sure if it's an anti-cheat thing because it's an overlay or what. I was testing the discord Public Test Build.

I've had something weird happen with Chrome before where a game wouldn't start unless Chrome was closed.
Biscuit390
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Biscuit390 »

I'm (fairly sure) i'm not running discord or any other overlays, but I'll see about closing chrome and a few others.

\"I suppose there is one good thing about dying in space combat. You get an instant free space-viking funeral.\"
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Does your system meet the minimum requirements, including Windows Vista or higher (not XP)? It's probably something basic.

Please e-mail me a zipped copy of the msinfo report for your system: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/faq.htm#208 (no need to include the save game, just the zipped msinfo report).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Biscuit390
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Biscuit390 »

I'll send you the msinfo if it doesn't work, but I might need to choose to have Legacy run on the NVidia processor rather than the integrated Intel (which I forgot doesn't happen automatically).

edit: I tried running EM, which used to run fine, but it has the same problem. Not sure what's changed on my part, but I'll take a look.

[Edited on 24/1/2016 by Biscuit390]

matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

I can't recall if the minimum requirements are 1920x1080 or higher.
There was a thread on here about the game not being able to see certain resolutions and that caused a no go scenario, I had that issue as well with another game, and running the little program that's uploaded on that thread might've refreshed those values.

Also, if it's simply refusing to run it could have to do with the nvidia auto threading settings too. Try turning multithreading off and see what happens. I've had that issue before where you click and poof, nada. Turned out very much to be that. However this game EL behaves with it on for me very very well. EM caused some crashes multithreading for me so had it off.

Plus I think the game needs consecutive memory and you have some display memory sharing going on, so try knocking out as many big memory hogs in task manager's processes before initializing.
I couldn't see much in your dxdiag other than the game should at least initialize. Have you updated directx runtimes lately?
(I can't remember if the game includes what you need in that department or not).
I guess I can say run it as administrator or in vista compatibility, or to disable any antivirus blocking memory access, but you likely have tried these.
Just trying to help, maybe there's some things there you can try and who knows.

[Edited on 1-25-2016 by matchbox2022]
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Biscuit390
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Biscuit390 »

Okay, so it's fixed now - after a driver update, which is odd, because the drivers that I had installed worked perfectly fine with EM a few months ago /: - why would that be?
Sorry for <strikethrough>the inconvenience</strikethrough> not reading the "read this first" properly.