[EL] No Stations on Multiplayer *SOLVED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
desius
Ensign
Ensign

Post by desius »

From post: 182977, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: It won't create a new universemulti.txt file until a build operation is completed. But you can restore the values to replace any that were lost/delete with the included universemulti-bak.txt file, just load the file and save it as universemulti.txt to restore default station modules.

Both text8.dat files look fine. I'm now browsing code to try and find a possible program-side cause.
Any sort of debug logging we could turn on?
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

Question for you vice, would it be possible for me to get my character from evochron merc? He has the tools to build.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If need be, I can send you a profile to work with. In the meantime, I have sent you both a test build that displays some debugging information. Here is much of what the e-mail contains:

...I’ve put together a test build that will display the program’s station module activity right in the server. When you start the program and connect the session, you will see two value appear in the upper right:

Total: 3092
Time: 0

The total value is the total number of modules the program was able to load from the universemulti.txt file. If that value is 0, we can stop there because it means the program could not load the modules from the file. If the value is over 3000, then it loaded the data successfully. The ‘time’ value will indicate when it is actively broadcasting module data. When a player logs on and finishes the launch cycle, you will see that number go over about 500 or and begin counting down rapidly. That means the broadcasting has started to sync the player with the latest module data in their area. If the timer sticks at 500+, then we can stop there as it means the program’s timer mechanisms are not being allowed to advance. If the counter decreases rapidly, then the program will begin transmitting packets. Every time a packet is transmitted, you will see a message appear in the message. If all of these steps complete successfully, then it means the packets just aren’t being delivered to the clients for some reason and it’s likely connection issue in the network. Otherwise, it will be a server program issue that I need to look into further.

Download link is in the e-mail.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
meatloaf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by meatloaf »

so i dropped the money for a constructor, build a power supply + crew quarters, and emailed you my universemulti.txt file. looks like the crew quarters did not get saved, but the power supply is still persisting, so that's something.

if you'd like to do some debugging, i'd gladly open up the server for you
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Almost seems like the file was write protected in that case. I'll reply back with the same test program I sent the other two so you can observe the behavior of module data in the server program directly.
StarWraith 3D Games
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

From post: 182984, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: If need be, I can send you a profile to work with. In the meantime, I have sent you both a test build that displays some debugging information. Here is much of what the If the value is over 3000
Value -1 time 0

EDIT: I guess my hunch was right about the fact it didn't complain I deleted those files. Its not even bothering to load anything at all.

[Edited on 1-21-2016 by DeathTech]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, thank you to those of you who helped test this and pin it down. The key factor appears to be where the server program was installed. So this would impact someone who installed it to a non-default location and didn't point the program to the location they wanted to use instead. The server program uses the same kind of save data folder system as the client. Here are the details that should get it to work for anyone encounter it (just needs a small text file to point the server program to wherever you want to keep the file):

You can either put the file in the default location (%win%\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacyServer) or direct the program to the custom location you want to use. Here's how to direct it to any location you want:

- Create a text file where the EvochronLegacyServer.exe file is located named savedir.txt and in that file in the first line enter the drive letter of where you want the program to look for your universemulti.txt file. So for example, if you wanted to use the H drive, you would enter this in the first line:

H:

Then save the file. The server program will add the standard sub folders automatically, so the program will append the string to read:

H:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacyServer\\

And that’s where the universemulti.txt file should be located. You can add other subfolder names as desired in case you need to. Just leave off the ‘\\’ at the end since the program will add it for you. Once the server program locates the file, it should work correctly.
StarWraith 3D Games
desius
Ensign
Ensign

Post by desius »

From post: 182991, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: Yes, thank you to those of you who helped test this and pin it down. The key factor appears to be where the server program was installed. So this would impact someone who installed it to a non-default location and didn't point the program to the location they wanted to use instead. The server program uses the same kind of save data folder system as the client. Here are the details that should get it to work for anyone encounter it (just needs a small text file to point the server program to wherever you want to keep the file):

You can either put the file in the default location (%win%\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacyServer) or direct the program to the custom location you want to use. Here's how to direct it to any location you want:

- Create a text file where the EvochronLegacyServer.exe file is located named savedir.txt and in that file in the first line enter the drive letter of where you want the program to look for your universemulti.txt file. So for example, if you wanted to use the H drive, you would enter this in the first line:

H:

Then save the file. The server program will add the standard sub folders automatically, so the program will append the string to read:

And that’s where the universemulti.txt file should be located. You can add other subfolder names as desired in case you need to. Just leave off the ‘\\’ at the end since the program will add it for you. Once the server program locates the file, it should work correctly.
^^ Fixed the issue entirely.

Thanks for sticking with us Vice.
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

From post: 182991, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: Yes, thank you to those of you who helped test this and pin it down. The key factor appears to be where the server program was installed. So this would impact someone who installed it to a non-default location and didn't point the program to the location they wanted to use instead. The server program uses the same kind of save data folder system as the client. Here are the details that should get it to work for anyone encounter it (just needs a small text file to point the server program to wherever you want to keep the file):

H:

Load=3092
Time=0

I can confirm this fix has resolved the issue.
Thank you for your help.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I'm going to update the server programs in the next update to start with the current active folder in the search for the file so this won't happen in the future.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I have uploaded the new server software for anyone who would like it in advance of the next official update. You can grab the installer here:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/ELServer.exe

These updated server programs require Windows Vista minimum as they include the update to DX9Ex for improved display device interrupt handling. If you need to use XP, you can continue to use the current server program(s) at this time. Otherwise, the other major change with these is the addition of the current active folder in the file search for the universemulti.txt station module file. This should solve any issues with modules not show up in multiplayer after someone installs the server program in a non-default location. There are a couple of points to consider when installing these server builds:

1 - To retain existing compatibility, the save data folder path is included. So if you have a universemulti.txt file in the %win%\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy folder, make sure to either delete it or move it to the same folder as the server program executable. Otherwise, the program will give priority to the save data location. Once that's done, the server program(s) will focus on the current active folder you launch the server program from.

2 - Back up your current text8.dat and universemulti.txt file before installing any server update. Wherever they might be located, make sure to back up your text8.dat and universemulti.txt files to a safe location. The installer will place default files in the required location, overwriting any that may there. This way, you can restore your files after installing to restore your server settings and any station modules that may have been built on your server.
StarWraith 3D Games
Jest
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jest »

Is there a method for updating the dedicated server installation using Steamcmd? This will allow automated scheduled updates.

Or will each update need to be downloaded from the website, then installed on the dedicated server?
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

From post: 183078, Topic: tid=12240, author=Jest wrote:Is there a method for updating the dedicated server installation using Steamcmd? This will allow automated scheduled updates.

Or will each update need to be downloaded from the website, then installed on the dedicated server?
Nope, i'm sorry friend but you'll have to download it each time as it does not have a steam appid for steamcmd to work with.