[EL 1.0084] Joystick control minor issues *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
akuma92802
Ensign
Ensign

Post by akuma92802 »

When I load my game, or come back after pausing (with ESC key) the throttle is always at mid range in the game no matter where the actual throttle on my joystick is. It fixes itself as soon as I move the throttle. Also only when I just re-loaded a game, just as it start, before the inventory screen pops on the screen (in station) the ships starts turning right as if the joystick was tilted to the right. Afgain, correct itself as soon as I move the joystick. Those issues are very minor, don't bother the gameplay, but I thought I'd signal them.

CPU : Intel Core i5 6600 (4 cores, 3.3 Ghz)
Memory : 8 GB DDR4
GPU : R9 270x 2 Gb ddr5
Windows 10, fresh install (2 weeks ago) all drivers up to date.
Joystick : Logitech thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X

Loving the game so far! Great work Vice! :)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That will likely happen with EM and AA also and with some configurations, seems to be related to device/driver behavior as when I display the input from within the games or test programs, the same results can be observed until an input is moved. So the games are simply reacting to what the device/driver is sending it and at least some inputs may not update until moved. Different devices may behave differently also.

The JoystickConfig program for EM works with the new game also, so I'd be interested in learning what is displayed for the throttle value when starting that program with the throttle set at various positions. That will display the raw numerical data being sent from the device.

Glad you're enjoying the game. :)
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
akuma92802
Ensign
Ensign

Post by akuma92802 »

I understand. I'd be happy to provide the info of JoystickConfig program, where do I find it?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

StarWraith 3D Games
akuma92802
Ensign
Ensign

Post by akuma92802 »

Ran the program and tested. no matter where throttle is at startup (or any other axis), it shows all axis at 0 until any input comes in from the joystick (any axis moves, any button is pressed, including hat). Then all input turn to what it should be. That explains why my ship throttle is always (in game) at mid-range when I start the game or after I paused for a while. However, my ship often face sideways (like 90 degrees left) from it gate when leave a station (after entering it). the joystick inputs don't seem to explain that. Example : entering a station at gate 1, when I leave station my ship is placed for gate 1 but faces gate 5 on the side. Also my ship stiff drift to the right just as my ship arrived in station, right before the inventory screen pops up. Again, not really a gameplay problem, just signaling it. :)

[Edited on 1-3-2016 by akuma92802]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The input mechanisms in the game are pretty tight and very sensitive by default, so it's possible any unwanted drift pre-input or post-input activation may be due do those tight margins. Such issues can generally be resolved by increasing the global deadzone to +1 or by selecting an axis specific deadzone value above 0 (which is now possible in EL).

Not sure about the gate facing issue, maybe if you can describe that a little more for me I can understand what you might be referring to. Or if it's just related to the drift issue, the deadzone options may help there also.
StarWraith 3D Games
akuma92802
Ensign
Ensign

Post by akuma92802 »

I will check the deadzones settings.

For the gate issue, I just had it happen again right now. Entered station thru gate 3, sold stuff, modified my ship, clicked on launch ship. I am in front of gate 3, with gate 3 guide lights being on, but my ship faces the center of gate 1. going straight forward would make me shield bump with the center dock. I have to turn my ship to face gate 3.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

That will happen if you modify your ship. Entering the shipyard usually repositions your ship for departure.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That's correct and is indeed normal behavior when you enter a station completely and dock your ship with it. When your ship re-launches from the station, it will face directly forward. It's up to the pilot at that point to align their ship for any gate they may wish to exit.
StarWraith 3D Games
akuma92802
Ensign
Ensign

Post by akuma92802 »

Al righty then. Thanks! :) Enjoying the game immensely! Spending nearly all my gaming time on it. :)