iPhone Calculator Error

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by Marvin »

Try this ... first on your computer calculator (or most any calculator) and then on your iPhone calculator:

1. Clear all (C or AC).

2. Enter the number 80.

3. Without pressing the Enter or Equals (=) button, subtract 1.

4. Again without pressing (=), divide by 2.

5. Now press the Enter or Equals button.

Check the result. Compare what you get with the computer to what you get with the iPhone.
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

Well, two different phone calculators ( Galaxy phone ) 79.5
PC calculator 39.5
PC spread sheet using "+80-1/2" 79.5

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=Me35VYLVN4H98we5ioc4&gws_rd=ssl#q=online+calculator

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
PaulB
Commander
Commander

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by PaulB »

I can't speak for the iphone but for Windows Calc:
try your test with Calc
then, click View - Scientifc and try it again.
Scientifc treat it as if you entered
80- (1/2) = 79.5
where as Standard treats it like
(80-1)/2

Whether that's operation as intended or a bug in Standard mode I don't know for sure but I suspect that Standard mode may be designed to to the calculation in sequential order rather than doing */ before +- calculations.
I was always a poor math student but if I recall connrectly */ normally has precident over +- unless specifically specified by using () - but I may be wrong :) and based on my grades I probably am. That's why I always hated calculus.
But when I use a calc like that I generally use () when using multiple operators.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by Marvin »

Turning the iPhone sideways will give you the parentheses but, in the vertical, it supposes to work like any two-dollar calculator. I doubt that many people do their taxes on a scientific calculator. Instead, they probably use the same kind my wife uses for calculating her test scores.

Anyway, it certainly messed up the trig figures I was working on for an Evochron quest scenario.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Well, or the order of operations has you do multiplication/division before addition/subtraction, right? It's been a long time since I have taken algebra, but I think that's how it worked.
PaulB
Commander
Commander

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by PaulB »

From post: 180991, Topic: tid=12113, author=Marvin wrote:Turning the iPhone sideways will give you the parentheses but, in the vertical, it supposes to work like any two-dollar calculator. I doubt that many people do their taxes on a scientific calculator. Instead, they probably use the same kind my wife uses for calculating her test scores.

Anyway, it certainly messed up the trig figures I was working on for an Evochron quest scenario.
If you switch to Scientific mode I didn't have to use the () to get the 79.5 results - it assumed the ().
All I did in both modes was 80-1/2=

But I'm not say you should ignore using () even in the Scientific mode - it may depend on just what you are trying to calculate as to whether you need to use them explicitly or not.
Better safe than sorry.
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

B.O.D.M.A.S.

Brackets Of Division Multiplication Addition Subtraction.

But on a side note, I always use brackets even when not needed, this way I control what happens and in what order.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by DaveK »

I've taught this sort of stuff fairly recently and Paul and Nigel are correct. In stacked calculations (where you enter all the parts and press = at the end) all calculators should give the same answer - even if it's not the answer you thought you were asking for:D

I always suggested to my students that in longer calculations they used brackets to make it clear (to themselves as well as the calculator) the order that they wanted the calculations doing. I also suggested that they did a very rough and ready mental calculation to give a quick check that the answer on the calculator was in the ballpark at least

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by Marvin »

The point: I have yet to see a cheap calculator (starting in 1972) with brackets or parenthesis. I still have a number of cheap calculators and I use them all the time for balancing my checkbook and figuring speeds and times and distances in Starwraith games. Even the iPhone calculator doesn't have brackets when held in the vertical position (which, by the number of vertically oriented videos I've seen on TV and YouTube, can only mean lots of people don't even realize that they can turn their iPhones in the horizontal). But, of all the calculators I've ever used (never to do complicated math problems ... for those I run a program in DOS or BASIC or some other language), the iPhone is the only one to ... oh, what's the use.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by DaveK »

I blame it all on the teachers not doing their job of teaching students how to use inadequate calculators to do calculations that are beyond the understanding of the students and the calculators themselves. :D

Edit: . . . or I blame it on the politicians for not getting rid of the teachers who are not doing their job of . . . etc :P

Edit 2: . . . or I blame it on the adults who were students who lacked the understanding but voted in the politicians who didn't get rid of the teachers who were not doing their jobs of . . . etc etc :cool:

[Edited on 8-10-2015 by DaveK]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by Marvin »

:cool: When I was in school, we were taught how to use a slide rule.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

iPhone Calculator Error

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Btw, my first calculator looked like this:

:( Only mine was plastic.