Rodina

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Rodina

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I recently discovered a nice little game on Steam: Rodina.

https://elliptic-games.com/

It's another independent game, and it is still in development, but the guy has a good start and an interesting idea. You can play the demo before you choose to buy it.

There are a number of features that I think most of you will appreciate: exploration, combat, planetary landings. A couple of features are kind of unique: you can walk around your ship and even outside of it. You can land on asteroids and walk around on those. You can even reconfigure the interior of the ship and decorate it how you like.

If any of you have played Mercenary: Escape from Targ, this game reminds me of that. It's a kind of spiritual successor.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rodina

Post by DaveK »

looks interesting - I've downloaded the demo! :D Thanks for sharing.
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Minuteman
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Rodina

Post by Minuteman »

I need to give this one a shot again. I tried the demo and got pretty confused.

Are there NPCs or crew members or anything?
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Rodina

Post by Nigel_Strange »

If, by NPCs, you mean alien spacecraft that kill anyone they contact then yes.

You are alone. Your only communication with others is through the wave radio on the ship. Also, as you explore, you will find datasticks and encryption keys.

The datasticks are just communications between people who are most likely dead as a result of contact with NPCs (defined above).

The encryption keys allow you to get information that more specifically concerns yourself and your mission.

Apparently, the cockpit feature is new, and I'm glad that they put the cockpit in before I tried to play it, as it makes the game much more imersive.
Minuteman
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Rodina

Post by Minuteman »

Oh that's awesome. I didn't know about the cockpit view. By any chance is it a cap ship type cockit? Or fighter style?