Multiple control configurations

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I have a T16000 joystick, which works great with the keyboard.

However, I also have a Saitek X-52. I am interested in trying this out, but it requires a lot of configuration to get the buttons, axes all mapped properly and to a specification with which I am comfortable.

What I want to know is: can I set up a separate controller configuration, so that if I decide to go back to the T16000 I don't have to redo all the configurations?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

IIRC, there is a text file which defines your setup. Vice or somebody can tell you which one. Save it (I prefer to put things like that in a JSGME folder) and swap out as required.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Two ways: You can set up a profile for the Saitek in the Saitek programming software - I've got a Saitek profile for the X52 (not sure if it's the Pro) generously sent by a player that you could use as a starting point - there's a thread here http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... #pid162095 on programming the stick/throttle as well or . . .

you can set up most of the buttons on the throttle/stick from the EM options screens - I've used the EM set up screen to handle the X45, X52Pro and a pair of Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack Flight Control Panels. The are identified as device 1 (X52) 2 & 3 (Cougars)

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The files you'll want to back up in case you want to restore an old configuration are:

- keymap8.sw (key and button mappings)
- stickt.sw (game device axis mappings)
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: On my desktop computer, I swap out joysticks. So dragging a copy of those files into a JSGME folder (for each joystick profile) would make for quick swapping.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Thanks. This is the main reason I have been afraid of the x52. I want an exit strategy if I don't get along with it.