[EM 2.908] Purchased on Steam, EM won't start *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
DDoutel
Ensign
Ensign

Post by DDoutel »

I'm getting a 0xC0000005 (invalid memory location) in module DBProSetupDebug.dll, Exception Offset 00002a56, Version 1.0.0.0.

Running Win7 Ultimate X64 with AMD 6800 graphics (driver up to date) and EVGA's internal sound, Realtek audio. 8G of RAM, UAC turned off, Intel core I7 3770K. Not having problems with any other software.

Any idea how i can get EM running?

Many Thanks!
DDoutel
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Probably easily fixable, unless the system has past malware/virus damage or a hardware failure. The error indicates a generic memory stop of some kind, so that’s the initial direction I’d suggest troubleshooting. The game was denied its memory request by your system, reporting as invalid since it wasn’t available when the game requested it. I’d suggest the following steps first:

- Follow the checklists on this tech support page to check for potential memory interference issues that may be blocking the game from accessing memory it needs to run: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

- Check to see if you have any 3rd party programs utilizing some form of graphical overlay running in the background that may cause interference issues with games. If so, disable and test the game for changes.

- Check to see if you have missing or damaged/corrupt codec issues on your system preventing the playing of the intro video in the game. To test this, you can place the attached file in the game's install folder (default location for Steam is Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\Evochron Mercenary) and the game will bypass the intro video for you and move on to the main menu immediately. Then if/when you are able to repair/restore support for playing the intro, simply remove the file and the game will attempt to play the intro again.

- If the problem persists, please follow the steps outlined at this link to submit a msinfo report on your system so I can analyze your setup for possible causes: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8 No need to include the save game, just the report.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks for following up via e-mail, DDoutel. For anyone else encountering the same issue, it turned out to be related to missing/altered/damaged video codecs (and/or their associated registry entries/dependencies), which would not let the intro video (WMV format) play. The 'novideo.txt' bypass option will allow the game to bypass the video until the cause of the problem can be corrected on the system.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
DDoutel
Ensign
Ensign

Post by DDoutel »

Yup! Vice got it sorted quickly; his attached file bypassed the into video.

Many thanks, Vice!

-DDoutel