Building a modem?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Building a modem?

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

OK, so like many I get plagued by "number withheld" type PPI/Solar calls.

Is it possible to get a kit to build a modem ( RJ11 ) to intercept the hidden data?

In the US you can build a telephone exchange of sort to get this information, but it is illegal in the UK.

The number is always sent, but is hidden on most systems, but some can still see it like the 999 service ( 911 for the US )

I can probably write the code to access the number/data stream, but pre-built modems automatically hide the number by design.

I have been Googling for a couple of hours and can not find what I want, but I might be looking for the wrong thing.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Building a modem?

Post by Capt_Caveman »

I have a friend who is a phone/network tech.
he says;

caller id data from a number that is blocked, (PPI, unknown, ----- , etc.)
is filtered out at the head end (phone company) they allow it to pass to 911 but not other users.
so any method to retreive it must involve the head end (phone company) and would most certainly be illegal.

however, some phone companies offer a service to unblock these numbers for a monthly fee.
oxo
Ensign
Ensign

Building a modem?

Post by oxo »

In Germany you can buy at the Phone Company a service called "CLIP no screening", so you can send ANY number you want. So most likely the number you may reveal is a fake number, since I think in any other country you also can buy "CLIP no screening". But in fact the phone company can reveal the "real number" like they do when they submit the "real number" to the LEA (like 911,110,112).

Most important it seems to be illegal to call someone to sell something without his consent. At least in Germany it is. Maybe ask the caller kindly for his company he is working for, and let charge your local customer protection association the offender.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Building a modem?

Post by Marvin »

It's not illegal in the U.S. unless you call someone on the "Do Not Call" roster. Even then, charities and certain other organizations can call.