Comparison to Elite Dangerous?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by sundalo »

The thing that made me stop playing this game is the stupid insurance system. Combat is fine, imo everything else needs a ton of work, but they gotta get rid of the insurance. Its no wonder people complain that it belongs in Eve and not elite. Unfortunately this insurance garbage will be present in star citizen.

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by sundalo]
\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

The insurance option is a carry-over from the very first version of Elite.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Ahhh . . . the 'get rid of xxx because I don't like it' isn't unique to EM then :P :P :P
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 175103, Topic: tid=11768, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:It's game money, and I am relieved that pvp is discouraged. Nothing I dislike more than someone trying to kill me when I'm minding my own business.
hmmm - that's not my idea of PvP; for me it's an agreed mano a mano (or, in respect for Cindy & Kat - girlo a girlo - or as Cindy would insist, girlo a mano - but I digress! :D)

If you're doing you own thing in game then being ambushed is a total put off, especially since it will always always be someone in probably a better ship and with more combat experience. That's one of the attractions of EM - respect for your preferred game play.

I've found the best way in EM to discourage being bounced is to agree to PvP and wait for them to get bored - I try my best (and apologise) but . . . :D:D:D:D
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 175126, Topic: tid=11768, author=DaveK wrote:Ahhh . . . the 'get rid of xxx because I don't like it' isn't unique to EM then :P :P :P
:cool: Surfing official and unofficial forums will turn up a few comments of a similar nature ... no matter what the game.
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

I don't have any problems with people being able to pirate me when they want. That's part of the "free to do whatever you want" gameplay.
Maybe that's because I'm in a pretty badass ship, fully equiped for combat.

This one time, a player interdicted me and said "drop it", then I said "I have no cargo, buddy" and I started shooting him. Eventually I jumped out because I wanted to dock at a station to buy a new ship, but I like the fact that a player can do that.

If you don't want to get attacked by players, you can play in solo mode.

The main problem with me is fighting in the "warzone areas". It's kind of like in EM, but you have to pick a side, and players on the other side will show up red.
The goal is to destroy ships and get money for it. The problem is that the money isn't enough, and that PvP is too risky and offers too little reward.
SplosivesCorp: Bringing people closer to destruction.
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

Personally I accept the idea that you could be jumped on by another player, even if you want to mind your own business. That's kind of what it might be like in reality for space-faring prospectors... braving the risks of life as an independent pilot in the galaxy. It adds an edge to gameplay that you always have to be careful and alert. However, for this to work well in a game, it's necessary that the game universe be big enough for you to find quiet areas where there is a lower chance of being attacked. Otherwise it will become complete overkill and incredibly boring if you simply can't do anything other than get attacked by trigger-happy players.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Yeah, I play solo mode. I do not like being dependent on the availability of their server, though, to play solo. I have to compete with people in real life. It's an unpleasant fact of life. When I play, I try to get away from that for a while, so I can do my own thing without worrying about other people's feelings.
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

From post: 175138, Topic: tid=11768, author=MCCON wrote:However, for this to work well in a game, it's necessary that the game universe be big enough for you to find quiet areas where there is a lower chance of being attacked. Otherwise it will become complete overkill and incredibly boring if you simply can't do anything other than get attacked by trigger-happy players.
I don't think this is an issue in elite.

400 000 000 000 star systems is probably enough to find some quiet places.
SplosivesCorp: Bringing people closer to destruction.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Sorry - I wasn't being clear. I don't mind being pirated, though I'm not sure that I would have been so sanguine very early in the game when I was in a feeble ship at the bottom of the learning curve.

If I get bounced when I'm doing something that is urgent (to me) and important (to me) and I'm part way through and would lose all the info I've gathered if I'm broken off, I ask nicely if the attacker would give me some time to complete what I'm doing.

Often the stuff I'm researching needs to be done in MP. So what I find a spoiler (for me) is when the player ignores my requestand kills me anyway. Happily this is a very rare event, and has been for a long while.

Other than that, if I'm pootling around or doing clan contracts then I'll happily accept the RL of Evochron and give it a go. :D

:)
ImageImage