Windows 8.1

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Windows 8.1

Post by PaulB »

Is anyone using Windows 8.1?

What is your experience with it versus Win 7 (or XP)?

Any issues? Do you wish you were back with Win 7?
Are you using Classic Shell with it (a free download that more or less give you back the old Start menu interface)?

Detailed input would be appreciated.

[Edited on 1-4-2015 by PaulB]
mmRunner
Ensign
Ensign

Windows 8.1

Post by mmRunner »

Well, I'm using Windows 8.1 (64bit) with Classic Shell since about 1 year. Without Classic Shell the system isn't usable ... But with Classic Shell You can use it like Windows 7. And after kicking off most of this app rubbish and avoiding the Windows Store I've got a nearly clean system.

In my job I'm working with Windows 7. So I've got a good comparision. On user level there is no big difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell. But if You're a purist, stay with Windows 7. ;)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windows 8.1

Post by Marvin »

My wife's laptop "utilizes" Win8.1 ... and she hates it even with the shell. If her old computer, running under WinXP wasn't so slow, she'd junk the new one.
Minuteman
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Windows 8.1

Post by Minuteman »

I think I'm the exception here, but I'm running it without any shell and it seems to run Evochron just fine.
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Windows 8.1

Post by PaulB »

If I do get a new laptop wth windows 8.1 - I can't conceive that I would ever want to access the Microsoft Store or whatever it's called nor use any Store apps (I read that Win 8.1 does automatic updates of Store Apps).
I never have and never will want Windows doing any kind of automatic updates (not even Windows updates automatically).
Has anyone dealt with disabling Microsoft Store??
I also read that those apps generally only work wee if you have a touchscreen - which thank goodness I would also never buy on a computer. Just something else to friggin go bad.
Touchscreen on a Desktop or Laptop is a dumb idea IHMO - unless maybe you are a mouse hater.
I have my Dell Touch pad disabled and use a USB mouse.

But the more I'm reading (BBB reports) and such I quickly getting turned off on the idea of buying a customized Laptop because ot thing like:
No resellers give a warranty against Dead Pixels (except one I think - Computer Upgrade King - a Amazon seller plus they give a 3 year warranty on any Customizations that install (only those are limited)
And all the other resellers I've seen, Xoticpc, powernotebooks.com, and the others, want you to pay $35+ for a 30 day No Dead Pixel warranty.

And I read one horror complaint on the BBB about Xoticpc where the customer bought a customized systemed that needed service and the Manufacturer would not service it under warranty untl the guy set it back to Xoticpc to take out the customizations and put the Laptop back to factory hardware defaults and then send it to the manufacturer for repair and then back to Xoticpc to have the Customiszations reinstalled - which tooks months and $$$ in shipping charges.

I'm talking things like swapping a better WIFI card or installing an SSD for the boot drive and things like that.

I really wish I could find a MSI GT70 or GE70 with a configuration from MSI like I want rather than try to deal with some of these eCrooks. Only problem there is MSI, ASUS andmost fo the others don't have a No Dead Pixel warranty - unless there are >5 or so in the middle of the screen.
I think that sucks.
It would be like buying a new car and "maybe there are no oil leaks or engine knocks or whatever" but unlesss it's leaking a quart of oil or the Knocks are disturbing the peace we won't do anything about it.
I think we need some Lemon Laws for computers.
I see what these places try to get you to take a 3% cash discount by doing a wiretransfer rather than paying by credit card - so you will have no recourse if you are dissatisfied.
Credit Card companies will try to protect you and backcharge the seller if you can write and convince them you got a defective product.
mmRunner
Ensign
Ensign

Windows 8.1

Post by mmRunner »

If I do get a new laptop wth windows 8.1 - I can't conceive that I would ever want to access the Microsoft Store or whatever it's called nor use any Store apps (I read that Win 8.1 does automatic updates of Store Apps).
I never have and never will want Windows doing any kind of automatic updates (not even Windows updates automatically).
Has anyone dealt with disabling Microsoft Store??
I also read that those apps generally only work wee if you have a touchscreen - which thank goodness I would also never buy on a computer. Just something else to friggin go bad.
I've registered at Microsoft when installing Windows 8.1, but I didn't register for the MS cloud and I never used the Microsoft Store. It seems to do nothing unless You use it ... On a friend's PC I saw some apps he got from the store. As long as they are not explicitly designed for use with a touch screen they're working the normal way.

And I configured the Update Center so that it looks for Windows updates and informs me about, and then it leaves it to me whether or when to be installed.
Touchscreen on a Desktop or Laptop is a dumb idea IHMO - unless maybe you are a mouse hater.
I have my Dell Touch pad disabled and use a USB mouse.
Seems we belong to the same user generation ;)

My PC starts with the normal Windows 7 style desktop (Classic Shell), but for the case I eventually want to use the Windows 8.1 desktop I configured it that only my preferred programms are visible (If You want I can send You a screen shot via private mail).

But the most important thing: all programs I used to work or play with on my old Windows 7 system are running without any problems with Windows 8.1!
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Windows 8.1

Post by PaulB »

My problem there is all my apps are circa XP and Windows 2000, like Paintshop Pro 6,Winzip 7, etc. I got PSP 6 to run on my Win 7 mini tower but not Winzip 7 - I had to use 7zip instead. and my Laptop has Office 2003 that came with it but I can't use it on another computer cause I don't have any install disk for it - so I had to used Libreoffice instead though I haven't actually had occasion to use it yet but hopefully if can directly use the MS Word docs I've made using Office 2003 Word on my laptop.
I really miss Winzip on the mini tower cause I've been using winzip for 15 years.
I just refuse to by new programs when the ones I've got do the jobs I need them to.

EM, Real Myst, and Riven are the only software I've bought in the past 10 - 12 years that I can recall - except for Windows 7 64 Home Premium for the mini tower I built last year.
That's another thing that pisses me off - that you aren't allowed to use one OS you buy on all computers that you own.
mmRunner
Ensign
Ensign

Windows 8.1

Post by mmRunner »

That's another thing that pisses me off - that you aren't allowed to use one OS you buy on all computers that you own.
Compare it with a car's motor: the processor is the motor and the OS is the crank shaft. Without it You can start the motor but it's not able to transfer its power to its environment.

If You got three cars You could use one crank shaft in all of them ... but not at the same time.

Well, I know, it's a misleading comparision ... ;););)