[EM 2.708] - Game Lag after Jump *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Vhaerun
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vhaerun »

From post: 164164, Topic: tid=10963, author=capt_cronic wrote:ahh ok, thats better
have you tried it with in game settings set to minimum ?
No... where's the fun in that? :P
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

just for diagnostic purposes and to get your fps above 20 for smoother gameplay
Vhaerun
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vhaerun »

Another thing I noticed.. not sure if this is related, but it's another issue I've gotten into.

EM is fullscreen, and I can't get it off fullscreen. If I read the instructoins right, to have it not full screen, I need to put the Screen Mode in "Optimized (WM) No VSync" mode. That's what I have it in, but it still remains full screen after a restart.
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

check the "PLANET RENDERING" setting
are you useing "Pre-Generated" or "procedural" mode
which ever one your useing, try the other and see if that helps

note; the first time you start the game in "Pre-Generated" mode,
there will be a long delay as the game loads all the planet textures to the HDD for future use
before launch. this is a one time delay

"procedural" mode loads textures into memory only as needed
this can help determine where the lag is, hdd or memory
Vhaerun
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vhaerun »

I am doing that right now. It's taking quite a lot of time for it to load. I'm at like 60%.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Got the report, thanks.

The CPU on your system is indeed slow, below minimum spec (the 256 MB 3D chipset is also pretty low performance), but loading performance should be significantly better, even if your system can only run the game at around 10 fps. My first suggestion would be to try and optimize performance.

Open msconfig and uncheck as many non-essential programs as feasible in the startup tab. Then restart your system. You can recheck them later as desired. And if performance is better with those programs disabled, start turning them on again one at a time to determine which one had the biggest impact.

Norton may also be having an impact. In some cases, turning a security program off won't remove the residual effects it can have on a system. So you may want to try uninstalling it entirely (using something else in the meantime as desired for protection), rebooting your system, then launching and testing the game for changes. While the FPS won't likely improve, the loading time might.

More information on optimizing is available here (including some steps you can try for other related/similar issues):
http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595
http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... 1#pid28688

Edit for your more recent post:
EM is fullscreen, and I can't get it off fullscreen. If I read the instructoins right, to have it not full screen, I need to put the Screen Mode in "Optimized (WM) No VSync" mode. That's what I have it in, but it still remains full screen after a restart.
The game will render in a full screen window in that mode. But it isn't really a factor for testing this issue. You can try the Locked FS modes, but you probably won't notice much of a difference. The steps/options above may help.

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Vhaerun
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vhaerun »

Thanks for the help. We'll have to see what can be done. Considering it's the only real issue I've found, I'm not too busted up about it.
Vhaerun
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vhaerun »

For anyone that might be interested... here's the rundown of what I did and how it's affected gameplay:

* Uninstalled Norton Anti-Virus.
* Removed a couple programs from my startup (found with msconfig).
* Closed my C3 (vocal internet chat) program.

While the "lag" with jumping into another sector remains, I haven't timed it yet. The game loads much faster (even with another high-memory program running minimized), and the controls seem much smoother, especially at start-up, which I had noticed were sluggish for the first 20 seconds or so after game startup.

So while the main issue of sector load hasn't been fixed, a few other issues that were bothering me (albeit less annoying) have been fixed. Many thanks to Vice, capt_cronic, and SeeJay. :)
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

good to hear, glad to help :)

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by capt_cronic]
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Your most welcome.

Hope you'll get the last issue fixed as well. ;)
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Vhaerun
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vhaerun »

This is an old thread, but figured I would put an update here.

That old computer I had died a very violent hard-drive crashing death. It's now a paperweight. I might get it re-fitted for a computer for my daughter. Anyway...

I have a new tower, and the lag on jumps is pretty much history. There's still the sector-loading delay but it's a fraction of a second instead of nearly 15-20 seconds as before. I have it running on a 28 inch HDTV for a monitor (but not running through HDTV cables). Everything is going swimmingly and I'm trying my hand at multiplayer.

Long live Evochron.