I-War

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

I-War

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Years ago (back in the 1990's?) I bought Independence War. If you have not played this game, it is an excellent space-combat simulator that I highly recommend.

The problem was that it was coded back in the days when 3DFX and Voodoo were dominating the 3d GPU landscape, and so it was written for that technology.

I have gone through several computers since that first install, but never managed to finish the game, because after a while, the computer would wear out. Part of that was just lack of dedication on my part.

So, I tried to install it again last night (having downloaded a glide-wrapper) but the game would not even install on Windows 7! The error message was a cryptic exclamation point in a white box with an OK button.

"OK," I muttered. "OK???"

So, I looked around and found that this was typical error when you tried to install this game on Windows 7. I was crestfallen. However, Good Old Games was mentioned, so I went there, and found the game for sale for $2.99. I had not bought anything from GOG before, but I had it on good authority that they not only provided the games, but provided solutions to compatibility problems, so I bought it. It seemed silly, at first, to re-buy a game that I already owned, but that silliness wore off when I installed it and played it in stunning 3d for the first time in over a decade.

So, if you enjoyed this classic in the past, but are unable to play it now, there is hope.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I-War

Post by DaveK »

GOG have got IW and IW2, both working on W7. You also get files for the manual, avatars and ship sizes etc.

IW was the only game I had really stuck at since Elite on the 80's. The next one was Evochron Legends and then, within weeks, EM

My only regret was a few months before GOG released W7 versions I gave my original games plus a variety of books and manuals away to charity! Ahh well :D

GOG have a phenomenal range of games in virtually every genre at very low prices. They also do regular bundles and special offers as well! It's worth a visit to their site

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage