[EM 2.878] Adjusting FOV for better Oculus support *INFO*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Landman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Landman »

Hi all,

I've done quite a bit of searching to find a solution on how I can adjust the FOV in E:M.

From what I've read, one can make adjustments in the sw.cfg file. The issue is, I don't have that file in my E:M directory.

Is there another solution to increase the FOV, I'm aiming for about 120 degrees. I'd like this high FOV because I'm using VorpX and the Oculus DK2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Landman
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 173884, Topic: tid=11690, author=Landman wrote:The issue is, I don't have that file in my E:M directory.
Unless you're using Steam or installed the game to some place other than the default location, the sw.cfg file should be in C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary.
Landman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Landman »

@Marvin,

Thanks for the SUPER quick reply. My bad, I was looking in the primary directory. Thanks a lot!

Landman
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: No problem. If you still have difficulties, either do a search for Oculus ... or wait for Vice to drop by and offer a tip or two.
raron
Ensign
Ensign

Post by raron »

Landman (or anyone): What value is the FOV setting? And what value do you use?
Landman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Landman »

@Raron, I find that a value of 2.55 or 2.6 works best for me. Then you also need to zoom about a bit in the VorpX settings. I think my zoom was set to 89 with in VorpX. It's not Sterioscopic but still does a neat job at bringing VR to E:M.

Shout if you need more help, perhaps I'll do a video and show you if need be.

Landman
raron
Ensign
Ensign

Post by raron »

@Landman:

Thanks! I guess I worded it a bit wrong, I also ment to ask which value the FOV is (as in where it is, there are some different numbers in the sw.cfg file), in addition to what value you use.

I guess I could just use the trial-and-error method to figure it out, but I figured I'd ask :)

It's a little while since I've tried EM again now, bit of a bummer if it isn't stereoscopic even with vorpX and a Rift. I seem to remember it was when I tried it? (that's one of the purposes of vorpX?) But I didn't get headtracking working, unless I combined with TrackIR. Except it (probably) got disturbed by the Rift's IR LEDs and was pretty useless.
Landman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Landman »

Oooh I seeeee :) In the sw.cfg change the value on line 17. VorpX has a setting called "3D Reconstruction" which normally allows you to switch between "Geometric" (which is stereoscopic) and "Standard" (which kind does a weird screen warping thing to emulate the 3d effect). For some reason I couldn't change it to "Geometric"

As for head tracking, just press F10 ingame to be able to look around.