X55 Rhino stick and throttle

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
jureidinim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jureidinim »

Hi - unable to get the Rhino trottle (or switche on throttle) to be detected in game. Game shows DEVICE 1 and DEVICE 2. Device 2 seems to respond to the stick (with twist), but cannot get the throttle responding on either Device settings.
I have no other gaming peripherals/controllers/devices plugged in.
Under button configuration, all the buttons/hats on the stick is seen by the program, but none of the switches on the throttle are detected.

Anyone has the X55 Rhino stick working fully in this game? If so - how?

Thanks
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Can Windows see it and is it properly configured within Windows and the Saitek software? If I remember correctly, the X55 uses separate USB input for both the throttle and stick, rather than combining them into one device. So they will probably respond on different device ID's. Did you try values beyond 2? What is the device order Windows has them sorted in? Have you tried setting the throttle as the preferred device in Windows? If Windows can see it, then the game should be able to also. If the game can't see the throttle, then it means DirectX/DirectInput can't see it either, so there must be something along the way that is preventing it from being detected.

What Saitek software version are you using? Have you tried updating if it's an older version?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
jureidinim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jureidinim »

From post: 174208, Topic: tid=11713, author=Vice wrote: Can Windows see it and is it properly configured within Windows and the Saitek software? If I remember correctly, the X55 uses separate USB input for both the throttle and stick, rather than combining them into one device. So they will probably respond on different device ID's. Did you try values beyond 2? What is the device order Windows has them sorted in? Have you tried setting the throttle as the preferred device in Windows? If Windows can see it, then the game should be able to also. If the game can't see the throttle, then it means DirectX/DirectInput can't see it either, so there must be something along the way that is preventing it from being detected.

What Saitek software version are you using? Have you tried updating if it's an older version?
Windows has them both listed and says ok - but the calibration screen doesnt come up for the throttle. I never worried on that before as all the flight games i have works fine with it despite this (x-series, Elite Danderous, DCS, Rise of flight). In Evochron, I only get to choose Device 1 and Device 2. Nothing more as it just cycles between them.

Drivers are the latest from the Saitek site.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Seems to be normal behavior that the Saitek software doesn't allow you to calibrate the throttle. Although that does seem a bit odd.

Did you try setting the throttle as the preferred device in Windows, then test for changes? Then if nothing changes, switch the stick to the preferred device and test?

Are you running Windows 7 or 8? Have you tried swapping the throttle to a different USB port, then testing? Seems to be some issues with Windows 8 and their drivers/devices working on USB 3.0 ports, so if that lines up, maybe try a USB 2.0 port instead.

When the throttle hasn't worked in Star Citizen like you describe, one player ran through this procedure and got it to work in that game:
Had to uninstall, disable windows auto install driver, delete inputs out of device manager, reinstall device, create profile, save, and hit blue bullseye in x-55 profile.
Might be worth trying to see if anything changes.

The fact that no buttons are even returning a signal indicates that nothing is coming back to the game on any device ID for that device. In a way, that's a little encouraging since it means the problem is likely just some form of on/off activation/detection issue, rather than some kind of specific signal problem.

There's really no reason I can think of for why it wouldn't work. The only possible difference that comes to mind for this game compared to others is that Evochron fully supports individual dedicated devices on their own unique ID's as listed in Windows. That difference might be a factor, but any other control device that uses multiple ID's/USB ports (CH products for example) work fine. Perhaps there is something driver-side.
StarWraith 3D Games
jureidinim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jureidinim »

Yeah - tried the preferred device - no go.
Tried switching up USB ports - nothing. I have one more to try i on the back of the machine - a bit difficult to reach .. lol.

Just weird that everything else works. The last time i played this game i had the older Saitek stick and throttle which worked fine - but they were not seperate plugs. This is the first time i'm trying the game now with the new stick.
Evochron does give two devices (1 and 2) so i guess something is being detected even though it wont pick up the signals?

Thanks for the help though. Hopefully i will stumble onto something.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If nothing else, I can try to contact them to try and get more information about their device and drivers. Not sure how good they are at responding to such inquiries, but I can give it a shot. Please do keep me posted, I'll forward your results on to them as part of my report/request to them.
StarWraith 3D Games
jureidinim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jureidinim »

Thanks.

Oh - it is Win 8.1 I am using.
I do see the mention earlier in the year of issues with Win8.1 and the windows panel not seeing the throttle.. but nothing since then. Drivers havent been updated or anything since.

Hope they answer you and give you a way to work around it in the game code
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I received a reply back from MadCatz technical support today and I've included the steps they sent me below. Also, a new forum member just posted within the last day or two and mentioned they had a X55 working with the game, so it may just be a configuration issue that their tech support person seems to be indicating.

Here is their troubleshooting advice:

Please try this..
First Step: Disconnect controller

Next step: Delete the MadCatz folders under your Temp file? Instructions bellow:
1. Click Start
2. Open computer tab
3. Open C drive
4. Open Windows folder
5. Open Temp folder
6. Open MadCatz Folder and Delete any X55 folder. If you have no other MadCatz item delete the entire MadCatz folder.
7. Open Saitek Folder and Delete any X55 folder. If you have no other MadCatz item delete the entire Cyborg folder.

Next Step: Lets see if the software is still installed
1. Click Start
2. Open Control Panel
3. Open Uninstall a Program
4. If you see anything that says X55 > right click it and uninstall it. (If you see two instances uninstall both)

Next step: Delete the Switch Panel folders under your Temp file? Instructions bellow:
1. Open "computer" or "this PC" (windows 8 and 8.1 only)
2. Open C drive
3. Open Program Files or Programs Files 86. (please note if you have both open and check both files)
4. Open Madcatz folder or Saitek folder.
5. Right Click and Delete any Pro Flight Panels Folder. If there are none proceed to next step. >

Next Step: Update any important Microsoft updates and Update your .Net Framework
1. Please install 4.5.1 .NET framework for your PC. Updating your framework will help your computer's devices run properly, smoother, and faster.
You can download 4.5.1 with this link.. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40779

Next Step: Device Manager
1. Open Device Manager
2. Expand Programmable Support and if it is correct it should look like this.
- Programmable Hot-key
- Programmable Root Enumerator
- Programmable Support for Keyboard
- Programmable Support for Mouse
3. If there are any Yellow exclamation mark Right Click it and uninstall them.
4. If you have more than one Root Enumerator then you will need to uninstall each programmable root enumerator until you only have one programmable root enumerator showing.

Next Step: Restart PC

Next Step: Reinstall. Follow exact instructions below.
1. Before, you download the updated driver and software, it is important to disconnect your products
2. Go to Saitek.com
3. Choose Product type and select joystick
4. Chose X55
5. Select operating system
6. Download driver first. Make sure you save driver. Once it saves click and drag it to your desktop > Right click it and click run as administrator.
8. Follow installation instructions
9. When informed to connect please do so. Make sure you connect to USB 2.0 port.
9. Click Next and finish
10. A test page should open. This is where you can test the functions and calibration of the joystick.
11. Exit out after testing and restart your PC.
12. After your PC Reloads please download and install the software.
13. After software installs restart your PC

Next Step: Test out
You can test the functionality of the unit out within the Saitek calibration test pages. To do this click Windows Start Button/Devices and Printers/right click the devices controller/game controller settings/properties to open the test page. If everything within the test page is functional then your units work. If it does not properly operate please let me [MadCatz] know.

Please reply with your results.
StarWraith 3D Games