[EM 2.878] Flickering? *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Bavalanche
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bavalanche »

Hello guys,
First of all, English isnt my native language so i dont know if ''Flickering'' is the right word for what's happening here, but i'll try to explain.

--The Problem--

I got Evochron Mercenary from Steam not long ago (probably one week at most) and it worked perfectly fine, on all levels of details. I wanted to spice my game up with a few mods, so i got mods that modify the 'environment', the 'hud', and the 'sounds'. Yesterday night, it all worked just fine with no problems whatsoever. However today, i installed a 'HUD' mod (I believe it was ''SilicuMAX'') and booted up the game to find that starting from the intro logos or whatever, the screen constantly flashed (hence i wrote 'flickering', sorry if it's the wrong word). I still pressed the 'launch' button and there were no problems, until i started to accelerate. So what happens is, in the cockpit view it doesnt flash/flicker when i stay still, but in third-person views and when trying to accelerate in the cockpit view, it starts to flash without ever stopping. I tried to see if it was the whole screen or just the HUD but couldnt see that well (nevertheless 'only the hud' is much more probable because i see the ''echoes''(couldnt find another word) of the HUD).

--Things I've Tried--

- Removing the HUD mod
- Removing all mods
- Verifying game integrity in Steam
- Uninstalling and Re-installing the whole game

--System Specs--

- CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU@ 2.40Ghz
- System: Windows 8.1
- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (Version: 9.18.13.4052)
- Sound: Intel Display Audio (Version: 6.14.0.3097)
- Sound 2: NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) (Version: 1.2.20.0)
- Sound 3: Realtek High Definition Audio (Version: 6.0.1.6699)
-----------

I know the post is long and kind of complicated with all those brackets, so sorry for that but i wanted to explain my problem as clear as possible. And keep in mind that it was working fine and just started doing this without me changing anything whatsoever, and that i've went as far as re-installing the game. Thanks in advance guys.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Haven't heard of that before. It's most likely something left behind from one of the mods, but it could be a driver or hardware issue that just surfaced on your system as well.

Part of your description sounds like the background structure is not being rendered, leaving behind a streaking/flickering effect when you turn, pitch, or roll. If that is the case, then there may be something left behind in a mod folder that is still having an effect. I'd be interested in seeing the following:

- A screenshot of the main Options menu (press print screen, then paste it from memory into an image editor, then save as png or jpg, then e-mail it to me at starwraith.com > contact).
- A screen shot of the main Evochron Mercenary folder in the \\SteamApps\\common folder as well as screenshots of any sub-folders in that main folder showing the files inside.
- A screenshot of the effect in action, or if possible, a YouTube video showing it.

Also, check to see if you are using any non-default 3D display settings in the Nvidia control panel (ie triple buffering, maximum pre-rendered frames, ambient occlusion, etc).

If it's not a product of a hardware failure on the system itself, it should be possible to sort out and fix.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Bavalanche
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bavalanche »

:)Thank you for the reply :). 10 minutes after i posted, i figured it out, and you're right, it was in fact, left by a previous mod. The ENB series mod somehow managed to re-install itself (how, i have no idea) and when i deleted it's files, the problem was fixed. It's still interesting how it worked yesterday night, and doesnt work now. But the problem is solved, and i can play without any other problems, thank you :) .
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ah ok, glad you got it sorted.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o Triple buffering can cause flickering?