New Laptops

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
PaulB
Commander
Commander

New Laptops

Post by PaulB »

I'm seeing that most decent laptop hardware configurations have 1920 x 1080 displays.

My goodness, My old Dell M65 with XP is 1280 x 800 or something like that and Apps are a bit hard to read sometimes - like in Firefox I sometimes have to use Ctrl + to increase a web site size.

Does anyone have a newer Laptop with Windows 8.1 and 1920 x 1080 ?
If so do you have any problem with readability in Apps ?
Especially in you have eyesight problems ?
Or can you scale up apps and make them more readable? I read something about that on windows 8.1 or changing the scale or a particular app or something but read it may make things better or may make things worse?

If I have to buy a new laptop, since my Dell died, I sure don't want to spend a lto of money on something I can't read tje text and stuff.

On my mini tower that I'm currently using I have my desktop icons set to Medium size and I change the Font size for them from 9pt to 10pt.
Also I change Active and Inactive Title Bars from 8pt (I think it was) to 12pt and Menu font size from 8pt (I think) to 10pt. This is on a 22" widescreen 1600 x 1050 display.

I can't see getting a laptop with a 1366 x 768 display. I've read they look bad and I once hooked my Dell laptop to my 22" widescreen monitor and the 2 choices I had that the monitor would support in the Dell resolutions that were closest to the dell 1280 x 800 were 1280 x 768 and I think 1400 x 900. The 1280 x 768 did not give enouf real estate for apps like Firefox browsing.
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

New Laptops

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

My suggestion is to go to a local store that sells a laptop that fits your screen size and pocket.

Take with you a USB memory stick with pictures on, screen captures taken from your mini tower or other sources.

This way you can ask the shop too show you the pictures on the desired laptop.

Also take .txt documents that can be loaded into Word or a word processor so you can see text at different sizes.

Make sure to take down the model number of any laptop so you can price check it online.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]