[EM 2.788] CTD on launch, HID error. *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Biscuit390
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Biscuit390 »

Hello again,

I've played EM fine for ages with my current joystick (Speedlink Black Widow), however recently I got a new mouse and keyboard, and the game no longer starts/ "Evochron Mercenary has stopped working".

Problem details, provided by windows are as follows:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: EvochronMercenary.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4d460aea
Fault Module Name: HID.DLL
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bcde
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00001fb8
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

It runs fine when I don't have the joystick plugged in, however. It might also be worth noting that I worked out that my mouse also emulates a keyboard.

Thanks in advance,
-Biscuit.

[Edited on 3/4/2014 by Biscuit390]

[Edited on 3/4/2014 by Biscuit390]
Callsign: Max
Find me on Ceti Alpha V and Galactica 1!

We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!

\"I suppose there is one good thing about dying in space combat. You get an instant free space-viking funeral.\"
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Looks like a somewhat common issue with the 'Black Widow' joystick (for example, here's the problem reported on Steam for the game Wings of Prey: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1728970 ). Some googling indicates the problem has been reported in many other games as well. So it's probably more device/driver related than being related to a particular game.

The HID.DLL is the Human Interface Device module (part of Windows), so it means something is likely conflicting/faulting somewhere along the line in your control device configuration. Since it works when you unplug the joystick, I would suggest troubleshooting in that direction first. See if the manufacturer has an updated driver available for your device. Then test to see if your the mouse-to-keyboard device/driver might be causing the conflict with the joystick (remove it and test with the joystick active). Solving the issue may require a new driver, changing settings with your control device/hardware manager, or support from the developer of the software associated with the joystick and/or mouse-to-keyboard device.

One person reported solving this problem in IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover by simply correcting the driver being used for their Black Widow joystick.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Biscuit390
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Biscuit390 »

Thanks Vice, driver update fixed it.
Callsign: Max
Find me on Ceti Alpha V and Galactica 1!

We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!

\"I suppose there is one good thing about dying in space combat. You get an instant free space-viking funeral.\"