[EM 2.788] Decryption Error - fixed. Thanks

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
I Assassin II
Ensign
Ensign

Post by I Assassin II »

So the demo worked, I bought the full game on steam and now I'm getting this error again. I checked to see if my firewall was blocking it, put it in compatibility mode, and ran it as administrator ... nothing so far.

[Edited on 2-9-2014 by I Assassin II]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Once the error occurs, the damage has usually already been done and you need to clear out the damaged files to restore functionality. As mentioned in your other thread on this, I'd be happy to review your system for possible causes, please send me a msinfo report on your system: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8

Otherwise, there really isn't much information for me to go on to try and help you determine what the cause on your system may be. Please also send me a screenshot or two showing the list of files in that save data folder location. Also send a screenshot of the error message you are seeing.

In the meantime, temporarily move all files in the save data folder (default location is c:\\sw3d\\Evochronmercenary) with the filenames that include 'pilot' in them to a temporary holding folder. You may find files like pilot0.sw, pilot0.bak, and others. Move all of them to a separate folder, then relaunch the game to test for changes. If it then runs fine, e-mail me those pilot files and I can also use those to analyze what may have happened.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
I Assassin II
Ensign
Ensign

Post by I Assassin II »

The link to email you won't work.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Check your forum u2u inbox.
StarWraith 3D Games
I Assassin II
Ensign
Ensign

Post by I Assassin II »

Alright, I sent the email.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks, got it. I'm reviewing the information and should have a reply posted here shortly with some ideas/suggestions.
StarWraith 3D Games
I Assassin II
Ensign
Ensign

Post by I Assassin II »

Thanks so much man!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I sent a quick e-mail reply back to you to about a screenshot of the save data folder (rather than the install folder), which is the most important for this issue. And if you find any files with 'buttonmap' in the name, please also send those for me to review. I think I'm starting to develop a theory on what might be happening, just need some more info to confirm.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, looks like 'I Assassin II' was able to sort it out. If I get any details wrong here, I Assassin II, please reply here so others can have the most complete and accurate information.

It appears the problem had to do with some kind of security setting or condition on his system that effectively blocked the main local disc from being accessible to the game. The error message was occurring before the game even had a chance to save out its initial core files to the save data folder. When the game could not find the data it expected in the save data folder, it would display the file operation error message.

I Assassin II reported that he was able to move the folder to a different location and the problem went away. For anyone else encountering the same issue, it may also require the use of the 'savedir.txt' option to point the game to a new location that works with their system's security settings/conditions. More information on using that option is available here: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3433 The information is available in the ‘Moving the Game to a Different Folder or Drive’ section on that page. While moving the entire game may not be necessary, the instructions will also help anyone who wants to move the save data folder location for files the game needs to store data to.
StarWraith 3D Games
Serric
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Serric »

#Hi everyone. Just errased swg.dg and all is well. :P

Hi. I keep getting Decryption Error when I try to log on. Never happened before and was flying around no problem. So I uninstalled and re-installed but still can't get on. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :mad:

[Edited on 3-15-2014 by Serric]

[Edited on 3-16-2014 by Serric]
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Go to single player.

No, sorry... I guess you want to play multiplayer.

Do you get the same error on other MP servers or just one?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

For future reference and/or in case it happens again:

Decryption errors can occur due to game file damage, insufficient memory/disk resources, or system damage (ie malware/virus infection). Make sure the game has sufficient permissions on your system, is included in any exception list(s) for security programs that could interfere with the game, and that you have sufficient memory and disk space for the game.
StarWraith 3D Games