[EM 2.788] Connecting to multiplayer problem *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Gray
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gray »

Hi,

First of all -- THANKYOU Vice for making this game! I've played 28 hours in 3 or 4 days since I bought it and have written glowing reviews around the internet and facebook :) All those people waiting years for this "Star Citizen" thing, when E.M. is already available :D

Anyway, the problem I am having is, it won't connect to any of the multiplayer servers on the list -- it comes back with either of these two messages, seemingly at random:

"Connection failed. No response from server on UDP port" or "Connection failed. IP address may be wrong or blocked or game is full"

Now what's interesting is that I can manually type in the IP address for an Australian server I found, and it connects perfectly every time!! (FYI that is "Retroverse" server, 203.143.82.204). I am in Australia myself.

I've tried manually typing the IP for the 4 default, listed servers (Olympus, Ceti Alpha, etc), but it still won't connect. Although I did connect *once* to Olympus Prime. So that's really confused me. Why would it connect once and never again?

I have tried disabling my virus scanner shields (Avast), and checked that E.M. has full access in the Windows 7 firewall -- but that is as far as I can go. I don't understand anything about "port forwarding" and that sort of stuff ...

Does anybody know why it will connect to an Australian server, but not any overseas ones?? So strange :( Could there be a setting on my router that I can change?

Thoughts appreciated and thanks in advance,

-- Gray
* E.M. players, add me on Steam! \"graywebster\" with a picture of Ms. Pac Man!
* Live in Asia-Pacific part of the world? Try the Retroverse server for a refreshingly low ping! Ahhhhh .... so fresh!
Iron man
Commander
Commander

Post by Iron man »

I confirm this player tried many time get conected in olympus prime but echec everytimes. Message have seen in game is 80% : player disconected. The 20% rest was i could see his name them player disconected again.... Hope you could come one day because you tried a couple of time without success....
Courage and hope it will be fix soon.
steam name : x iron man
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

your router also has a firewall built in
you should look into your router setings to allow EM and/or its ports
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o Can you connect to other servers outside of Australia other than those for Mercenary? For example, a TeamSpeak server in the U.S.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Very strange. Since it appears to be so selective against particular servers outside of your area, while allowing you to connect near your location, perhaps it has something to do with your ISP.

Another possibility might be that the signal quality/performance is weak enough where you are, that the game can't get a reply back from the more distant servers in time to complete the initial connection. The UDP message suggests this may be a possibility. That is, if the UDP packets themselves aren't being blocked for some reason, then maybe they are just being delayed so long that they never arrive in time. When you can connect to one of the more distant servers, see what your ping result is. If it's consistently high, then it could suggest the latter issue and the only solution might be a better/faster connection.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Gray
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gray »

Just for people who might have this problem in the future -- I went into my Router and set the Firewall to off. That seems to have fixed it (so far at least!) and I can connect. Thanks all.
* Live in Asia-Pacific part of the world? Try the Retroverse server for a refreshingly low ping! Ahhhhh .... so fresh!
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

you should figure out how to allow EM in your routers firewall
and turn it back on for safety.

the internet is more dangerous than ever :o
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

Do NOT turn off your firewall!
Find out what hits on it and only pass that through.
---
NLS
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 166893, Topic: tid=11195, author=Gray wrote:Just for people who might have this problem in the future -- I went into my Router and set the Firewall to off. That seems to have fixed it (so far at least!) and I can connect. Thanks all.
You should be able to add an exemption for the Mercenary game to your firewall and keep it on.
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

No. He should find the proper ports needed. Or make a trigger.
What you are saying is valid only for Windows firewall, not the router.
---
NLS
Gray
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gray »

^^ And this is why I only play Singleplayer now :) This stuff is too complex for me :)

I didn't make making bootdisks with custom config.sys/autoexec.bat when I was a teenager... But I'm too old for that level of fiddling now.

But as per the advice above, I turned my Firewall thing back on and I just switch it off when there is a weekend fight organised. Otherwise I play SP (no annoying disconnects also).

Thanks guys for all the replies though! :D
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 166977, Topic: tid=11195, author=Gray wrote:I didn't make making bootdisks with custom config.sys/autoexec.bat when I was a teenager... But I'm too old for that level of fiddling now.
:cool: I did. But compared to today's fiddling, writing DOS programs was a walk in the park. Fiddling now ... that's why I sent my son to school.
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

I disagree.
Fiddling now is a joke.
I wrote assembly back then (in three different CPU families), now you just google search "how to hack a wifi network".

There is even a study that although kids now are growing up INSIDE high tech, they are less inclined and capable of going "under the hood" (we didn't have Internet, wireless, cell phones, powerful CPU and unlimited storage and memory, while anything portable was either a joke - like scientific calculators - or nor really portable). Back then "going under the hood" was the only way to do something.

[Edited on 23-1-2014 by NLS]
---
NLS
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

My firewall/virus filter has a games mode - it allows Evochron through :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 166985, Topic: tid=11195, author=NLS wrote:Back then "going under the hood" was the only way to do something.
:cool: It certainly was the only way of doing something fast ... but C# is, for me, far more complicated than was ML.