[EM 2.708] Runtime error 506 - Weapons Lab (Windows 8) *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Speaker Rob
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Speaker Rob »

Pretty self explainatory title. When I attempt to enter the Weapons Lab at any station the game crashes and throws up this error window:

[file]801[/file]

Also, I have no other issues and the game works fine otherwise.

Some machine info:
Windows 8 (64-bit)
8 GB memory
AMD FX-6300

[Edited on 9-7-2013 by Vice]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The game is reporting it either can't retrieve or load one of the menu's texture images into memory. Since it is consistent, it suggests a memory point isn't available as you try to enter that menu. Here are a couple of steps to try (in the order I would suggest):

- Enable the Windows 7 compatibility mode (right click on the game's desktop icon > compatibility > Properties > Compatibility > Windows 7).
- Update your display drivers to the latest version for Windows 8, if available and if you aren't already running them.
- Try launching the game in administrator mode and test for changes (right click on the game's desktop icon > Properties > Compatibility > check the box next to 'Run this program as an administrator').
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Speaker Rob
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Speaker Rob »

After tinkering with the compatibility troubleshooter in Windows 8, I was able to get in and use the Weapons Lab without any errors. While I cannot 100% say that this was the cause for fixing the issue (see below), going through this process did resolve my problem.

**Unfortunately I do not have the simple "Run as Administrator" option in my right-click as I had in previous Windows versions. While I was able to go through the compatibility troubleshooter in Windows 8, and subsequently tested the program through it with no errors, at the end it reported back a failure to change settings. So my guess is while it did change Evochron to run in some older version of Windows, it encountered some kind of problem attempting to change some setting through the wizard. Also, I do not know which version of compatibility it is running, since the wizard doesn't really provide any feedback. Anyways, the problem is fixed now, aside from Microsoft's ambiguous troubleshooting wizard.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Glad you got it sorted, thanks for the follow up.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations