[EM 2.488] Joystick suddenly stopped working *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Buccura
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Buccura »

For some reason, my Joystick has stopped working in Evochron Mercenary. I was playing some X3 earlier and it was working fine, but when I loaded up Evochron it just wouldn't register any kind of movement or button push. The joystick in question is the Logitech Attack 3.

I'll try resetting but, if it doesn't work does anyone know of other causes? I tried re-validation the game cache since it's the Steam version but it found no files that needed to be re-downloaded.

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by Vice]
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MiaZ »

Have you used any other control device lately?
It might be something simple like what happened to me once.

After using a ps3 controller my "game controller preferred device" was re-set for it instead on of my x52
which now took the second device instead.

If it is that kind of problem you can either set your game controller "preferred device" in windows control panel back to x52 or
go through the games control setup again.
Make sure you click the arrow at the top of the screen to switch over to the next device in the list.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Have you checked that your PC can actually 'see' the stick. I had a problem and it was the stick itself that was glitching.

I know it's obvious but have you tried a reboot? - I've 'lost' the stick in game a couple of times and a reboot has worked.

Finally have you checked the connections - I have a Saitek X52 Pro (stick and throttle connected as PC -> Throttle -> stick) and occasionally one of the plugs works loose - leading to drifting or even the stick 'not working'.

Good Luck!

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Buccura
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Buccura »

Changing my preferred device in the game controller program to the joystick fixed my issue, thanks for the tip MiaZ! I did recently use my PS3 controller to play Dust: An Elysian Tail (Amazing game by the way, if you haven't gotten it yet) and that may have caused some conflict when I unplugged my PS3 controller and went right to the Joystick to play some Evochron.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

As Miaz pointed out, adding another controller to your system can sometimes bump one you used earlier down the list to a 'non-preferred' position in the list. If you want to keep an altered configuration (ie both devices plugged in), Evochron does support multiple control devices and you can remap your axis channels and buttons for a new device list position with the left and right arrow keys at the top of both respective menus.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations