[EM] Runtime Error 105- File does not exist, Intel HD Graphics...

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Kommunasty
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kommunasty »

Hi all, I've been having this problem very intermittently. First, some relevant info:

CPU: Intel Core i3 @ ~2.1GHz
RAM: ~4GB
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics with 1.7 GB RAM, version 8.15.10.2104

I have been having the problem of my game (On Steam) crashing on startup, when I load into the game it crashes to desktop at approximately 44% with the message "Runtime Error 105- File does not exist at line <number>". This happens intermittently; sometimes the game runs fine, other times it doesn't, even when I don't change anything. The most common file that "doesn't exist" is 83561 (about 80% or so of the time), but I have also noticed file 14652 also goes "missing" frequently.

I've seen that other people have had this problem as well, but many of the proposed fixes I have tried, to no avail. I don't run McAfee at all, and I added the game to the MSE firewall exceptions, and I'm running it in Administrator mode. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing the game entirely. I'm not sure what else I could try, but I appreciate any help offered. Thanks for your help and for making an outstanding game!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Error 105 is a generic file error. It means something got in the way of the game reading and writing files on your hard drive. So far, it's mostly been caused by an interfering security program or file management program and once the program is removed or settings changed, the game is then allowed to read and write files as it needs to.

Check your background tasks for any program that could potentially cause such an issue (you can follow the msconfig steps in this post to try them disabled one by one): http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

If the problem persists and you'd like me to review your system for possible causes, follow the steps here: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Kommunasty
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kommunasty »

I am still experiencing this problem, even after disabling all of the non-essential systems via msconfig. I sent an email with my system info, in the hope that it will help solve the issue.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately, your system has an Intel integrated display system. Integrated display systems (which use shared system memory) are currently not supported for the game as listed in the system requirements. A dedicated GPU with dedicated video memory being required. However, some players have been able to get the game to work on such systems and I’ll go over some options to try below.

First, I’ll go over some of the problems with integrated display systems. The primary problems with them involve poor performance and shared memory. With the latter, they consume your system’s RAM for use as video memory, depleting what your system has available for programs to use. This can cause low/intermittent memory conditions, resulting in error messages and media loading problems (including error 105 along with runtime errors 506 and 7018).

Your system has 4 GB installed with 2 GB listed as available. I’m not certain what level of memory may be used beyond that with the Intel system, but the display section indeed lists up to 1.68 GB allotted to it. If even a portion of that is used (which a 3D game will often do), it could further reduce the available memory to levels below what the game needs to operate. With around 1 GB or less potentially left over, you could probably launch the game and start the loading process, but it would likely crash during the loading phase once it runs out of available system memory as the Intel display system consumes more and more of it for use as video memory.

For steps to try and work around shared memory limitations/problems, here are a few suggestions:

- Reduce details in the game to lower the memory overhead. Turn off the 3D cockpit, change the graphics detail setting to ‘Low’, and set the texture detail setting to ‘Low’. Then test the game for changes.

- It looks like you’re running AVG. Try its gaming mode, if available, and/or its exception list. If the problem persists, particularly the error 105, you can try uninstalling it entirely using something else in the meantime for protection as desired (ie MSE or Avast), then after uninstalling it, reboot your system, then launch and test the game.

- Try shutting down Steam (right click on the Steam icon on the taskbar, then click on Exit), then launch and test the game by launching it directly from the install folder. You can also optionally download and install the direct download version from the game’s website and run it separately for this test.

- Update the display driver to a newer version, if available from the manufacturer.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations