Serious issues with the server program and windows sever 2012

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

I have a machine running windows server 2012 datacenter, and after a bit of work I got the evochron mercenary sever program to run (was a bit of a pain, too. I dont understand why it needs direct x for one). I can host the game alright but if anyone tries to connect the server program crashes. as well, it does not remember any settings I change (such as the server name, max number of players, etc).
not entirely sure what's going on here. this is the only server program I'm having issues with.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Did you properly set up the configuration file (text2.dat) for your system? If not, it will forget anything you manually change in the menus. Also, if you don't want to use the GPU optimized version, use the 2D version included in the install folder instead. Also, instructions for setting it up and using both server program versions are included in the install folder (ReadMe.htm).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

From post: 152036, Topic: tid=10166, author=Vice wrote:Did you properly set up the configuration file (text2.dat) for your system? If not, it will forget anything you manually change in the menus. Also, if you don't want to use the GPU optimized version, use the 2D version included in the install folder instead. Also, instructions for setting it up and using both server program versions are included in the install folder (ReadMe.htm).
I actually grabbed my settings off of my main desktop and moved them to my server. I guess I'll start fresh again.
the main issue here is that when anyone tries to join, the sever crashes with the typical "this program has stopped working" window. I cannot for the life of me figure out why that is happening. knowing me I'm probably missing something stupid though.

i just tried the 2d version and it's giving me errors as well. not sure why this is. I've killed all active RDC users and double checked the permissions for everything. oh well, might just have to run the server on my desktop instead of my server machine.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

For the 2D program, make sure to install the VC++ 2010 pre-requisite listed in the instructions. It requires that or it will display errors. A link to the installer is provided in the instructions. Beyond that, it may indeed require a more compatible platform.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

From post: 152074, Topic: tid=10166, author=d3drocks wrote:I've killed all active RDC users...
Killing their connections is one thing, but what have those poor people done to you that would make you want to kill them? Then again, I know that these things can get frustrating and letting loose like that can indeed make you feel better. So for this time, you are forgiven.

Maybe you should join one of the 'evil' clans around here with that attitude lol! :cool:

Hope you get it fixed btw. ;)
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

From post: 152074, Topic: tid=10166, author=Viper wrote:Killing their connections is one thing, but what have those poor people done to you that would make you want to kill them? Then again, I know that these things can get frustrating and letting loose like that can indeed make you feel better. So for this time, you are forgiven.

Maybe you should join one of the 'evil' clans around here with that attitude lol! :cool:

Hope you get it fixed btw. ;)
lol yeah meant connections. :p

problem is that server 2012 ships with a hell of a lot different under the hood than windows 7 or 8. direct X is not available by default, .net is not installed and a lot of things average users might require are missing.
unfortunately it seems that the evochron server program may have dependencies that are there in windows 7/8, but not server 2012. I can't actually figure what's missing in this case. kinda sucks cause my server pretty much never gets turned off and it's the perfect machine for this. I actually run 2 minecraft servers on it at the moment (tekkit and vanilla).
littleclaz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by littleclaz »

D3drocks... Umm.. WS12 does come with Dx and .net installed and enabled (well for my install it did) and i havent had any of the problems your having.. are you renting the server or hosting it off your inet? also.. ive found that sometime you might need to give it its own user to run server applications.. thats what ive had to do on my Test server and my rented production server (my internet is shit.. haha only uploads up 45kbs and downs at 873kbs :( ) i run all the server programs i e.g. DayZ, Tekkit, Chivalry: Medieval Warefare, Teamspeak etc.. under one User that is always logged in.. But ive not had any issues with DX or .net

--Stephen
Taomyn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Taomyn »

Hey. New to the game but trying to set it up myself and hitting a few issues. With regards to DirectX on W2k12, no it does not come installed - nor could I find a way to do it though I assume there probably is. .NET 4.x or lower is also not installed, but 4.5 is. These things I know after having installed 3 servers at home.

There is another way around it rather than running the 2D version - you can copy the missing DLL from a Win8 machine and put it into the server's folder. For me I found C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\d3dx9_43.dll and renamed it d3dx9_31.dll which is what it asked for. After that the 3D version would run - no idea if it will actually work as I only started with this today and I'm at work.

I'm pretty sure the DLL could be included with the server, which is maybe why those other game servers work as I also found it with Firefox/Waterfox and also Miro, though they also have a file called "D3DCompiler_43.dll" so I might need that one renamed once I have a chance to test it out later.

Any, hope this extra info helps anyone else out.