Firewall 'learning' problem with game DLL's

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Sunyi
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sunyi »

Hello all, I installed Evochron a few days ago and I am having a problem with my Online Armour firewall which doesn't occur with any other program. My firewall/system protection software is set to 'learning mode'which means each thing that wants to load and is unkown asks permission. I can check a tickbox to 'trust' and it adds the software to an allowed list and won't ask for permission anymore. But when starting up Evochron it keeps asking for permission to load DLL's from the game, it is as if with each startup those DLL's are made new and have a different signature than the ones I added to the trusted list. I have to click through numerous requests before I Evochron is loaded and I can play, unless I switch off the firewall.system protection software, which isn't really what I want. Anyone knowing a solution to this?
I bought Evochron through Steam and I am using Windows 7
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Probably no game-side solution if it's the firewall that isn't learning and blocks the game's dependent files from loading. Sounds like a support issue for the developers of the firewall.

Edit: Perhaps their software offers an exception list you could add the game to or a gaming mode?

Looked up the software and it's on Steam's list of interfering security programs (looks like it's on there for a reason): https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -SFLZ-9289

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Sunyi
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sunyi »

It has an exception list and I added the dll's to that list. But it looks as if the game makes new DLL's each time it starts up and the firewall sees them as not registered yet ( which is logical if they are made new with each start of Evochron )
I'll try to mess around with it...and that Steam list..yeah, but almost each security software is listed there :D

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by Sunyi]

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by Sunyi]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

They aren't 'made' each time, but they are extracted and loaded when the game calls for them. The game removes them along with a lot of other temporary files when it cleans up on shut down. Maybe that info might help.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Sunyi
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sunyi »

Actually it did help, yes, now I understand how it works and maybe I can pinpoint it and see how to solve this, thanks very much for your quick replies! :-)