Well that was easy...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Gold
Ensign
Ensign

Well that was easy...

Post by Gold »

Hi, new pilot here.
I was wandering if you guys could give me some tips for combat, as I am stuck at mission 8, where our small fleet arrives at Saphire to regroup with the rest of the navy, only to find no one.

I only have 300 fuel, my wingmen die from every missile and I am supposed to take on Vonari-F fighters. Their weapons range is huge and I can't seem to evade their fire even while going well above 1500 horizontally in Inertial Mode.

Also, I don't really understand the difference between the commands for my wingmen - they don't seem to fire on enemies while in Formation.

So... any tips ?
And thank you in advance.
EN4CER
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Well that was easy...

Post by EN4CER »

The most popular method is to hop in multiplayer and get help in the form of a wingman/gunner. Otherwise you need to brush up on your combat skills. There are a lot of online resources namely SeeJay's site and other's here on the forum. I found this thread assimilated the information very nicely and mixed both forum information and external links:

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8676
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well that was easy...

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Arvoch Alliance is a different kettle of fish. The best thing about it is the number of different tactics you can use to complete each mission. The enemy often fly at different speeds ... and, if they don't, you can "wing" a couple of them as you zoom by ... which will force the damaged ships to become stragglers. You then concentrate on picking off the stragglers. Also, you can fly a lot faster ... or slower ... or any speed in between. Which means you can draw them far, far away from your target, then make a beeline for the objective while the much slower enemy tries to regroup. As for wingmen, I set one of the keys on my joystick to initiate the "Repair and Rearm" command. It gets used a lot.

:o The only time things get really hairy is if mission 8 turns out to be the one where you're awakened 'cause the enemy has begun a sneak attack. In that case, all bets are off. (Luck be a lady tonight.)
Gold
Ensign
Ensign

Well that was easy...

Post by Gold »

Thank you for the replies.

Well I just ordered my allied ships to take the curve formation and they obliterated the enemy. Apparently this type of formation causes them to all target the same ship. I barely had to fight.

But now I have a couple of new questions -

1. What are the 4 formation types good for ? What is the strength and weakness of each one ?

2. Do allied ships in "Form Up" don't return fire ? I am uncertain of this...

3. Anyone still playing this game online ?
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Well that was easy...

Post by -splosives- »

I managed to make my wingmen 10 times more effective simply by binding the "attack my target" command. The enemy goes down so much faster when they focus their fire.
As for your own combat skills. I can usually take one out really quickly using a maxim-R cannon and a fusion beam. Just strafe past them at 1400 speed, when they get at 1000 distance, fire a missile to do some initial damage, and finish them off with your cannon once they're in range. It is important that you save your missiles for when your enemy is close, because then you have the best chance of hitting them. Those missiles can be pretty slow.
SplosivesCorp: Bringing people closer to destruction.