[EM]navmap keeps failing to zoom in on the system i selected

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

so, im having a weird problem in evochron mercenary. when i right click on a system, it doesnt zoom in on it. look here:
this image, I am highlighting the system i want to zoom in to (I've done it multiple times, highlighting various things in there, such as the station)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/37913616.jpg/

after i right click, this is what I see:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/228/14570126.jpg/

its happening alot now. usually restarting the game makes this stop, but it didn't this time (maybe its cause i saved before i exited?). i dont understand why this is happening. every system i click is doing this. I was describing this to some of the guys on remula1.

any insight?

[Edited on 6-29-2011 by d3drocks]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Notice your SY value under the 'Destination Position' values. It shows -2, so anything you zoom in on will be level with SY -2. That means you'll just zoom in on a blank sector if there's nothing at that -2 SY sector. Remember that in Evochron, space is fully 3D. Objects can be above or below you, not just level with you. That goes for sectors as well.

If you want to zoom in on that sector which is on SY 0, you will either need to jump up vertically two sectors, or left click while zoomed out, then click on 'Rear View' to flip the map to a rear perspective, then left click again to set the SY position to level with the sector you want to jump to. You can also manually adjust the sector coordinates if you like.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

From post: 109498, Topic: tid=7713, author=Vice wrote: Notice your SY value under the 'Destination Position' values. It shows -2, so anything you zoom in on will be level with SY -2. That means you'll just zoom in on a blank sector if there's nothing at that -2 SY sector. Remember that in Evochron, space is fully 3D. Objects can be above or below you, not just level with you. That goes for sectors as well.

If you want to zoom in on that sector which is on SY 0, you will either need to jump up vertically two sectors, or left click while zoomed out, then click on 'Rear View' to flip the map to a rear perspective, then left click again to set the SY position to level with the sector you want to jump to. You can also manually adjust the sector coordinates if you like.
ahh, I didn't see that. thanks for getting back to me so fast.

I'm also having a problem with the jump drive. I type in coordinates that i want to go to for the navpoint. I then point the nose towards the navpoint, and I hit "launch". I can actually see the navpoint move to a new location. I'm not sure what im doing wrong in that situation.
anyways, maybe this is best moved to a different area since its not tech support i guess.

[Edited on 6-30-2011 by d3drocks]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yeah, I'll move it over to the Evochron forum.

There can be a couple of potential causes for what you describe. One is when you set the coordinates beyond what your jump drive can travel in one jump. In those instances, when you activate the autopilot (although probably not with the launch button), the computer sets the jump point as far as your jump drive can travel in that general direction, makes the jump, then repeats until you reach the final destination. Another could be that a contract is getting accepted right as you are trying to plot your own jump point, resulting in the setting of your nav marker to the contract waypoint. Beyond that though, I'm not sure what else the cause might be. If you post the specific sector coordinates you apply, then what they are changed to when you click on launch, I might be able to determine what is happening.
StarWraith 3D Games
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

From post: 109507, Topic: tid=7713, author=Vice wrote: Yeah, I'll move it over to the Evochron forum.

There can be a couple of potential causes for what you describe. One is when you set the coordinates beyond what your jump drive can travel in one jump. In those instances, when you activate the autopilot (although probably not with the launch button), the computer sets the jump point as far as your jump drive can travel in that general direction, makes the jump, then repeats until you reach the final destination. Another could be that a contract is getting accepted right as you are trying to plot your own jump point, resulting in the setting of your nav marker to the contract waypoint. Beyond that though, I'm not sure what else the cause might be. If you post the specific sector coordinates you apply, then what they are changed to when you click on launch, I might be able to determine what is happening.
I'll try and take video of it next time.
I'm not accepting contracts when it happens, usually im not in a contract in the first place. usually im trying to jump a distance of 75k to 100k when it happens. the navpoint usually moves a second or 2 after i press the jump button, and im thrown off course.

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ah ok, that range may be the clue. There are some auto-corrections for jump points if you try to jump right to the edge of a sector and/or are dangerously close to a planet, moon, or other object (increasingly so if you have a navigator on board). It would depends on where exactly you are placing the jump point and how close it is to the very edge of a sector or object.
StarWraith 3D Games