Newbie with a question

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
EmpireState
Ensign
Ensign

Newbie with a question

Post by EmpireState »

Hello Starwraith world,

I just tripped headfirst into this community. I was looking for a space combat simulator with some weight behind it. Looks like a found a winner here. I'm new to the whole PC gaming world, so here's my question: "What are the benefits to using a mouse instead of a joystick for the Starwraith games?" also, "What type of joystick would be recommended?"

Thanks.
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Newbie with a question

Post by Avenger »

Hello and welcome.

Personally I prefer a joystick over a mouse for controls and I use a simple joystick in the form of the Saitek Cyborg Evo.
This stick has 1 pov hat, 1 trigger, 5 thumb buttons, 6 base buttons and a throttle slider.

This stick + keyboard is what I prefer to use, but there are others who prefer a mouse or a HOTAS.
Galaxy Defense Force Operator
Join the GDF!
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Newbie with a question

Post by Jack Dandy »

I think it's more up to personal preference.
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Newbie with a question

Post by BraveHart »

"Welcome Aboard EmpireState"...I use a logitech attack3 joystick, works fine for me and the cost is minimal ;)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Newbie with a question

Post by MMaggio »

Saitek controllers seem to be the dominant players choice. They range from inexpensive, simple single handed units to much more expensive muti uinits.
Try http://www.saitek.com and ck out the store.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Mop Head
Ensign
Ensign

Newbie with a question

Post by Mop Head »

I think most here go for the saitek X-45 or X-52 multi-units (stick and throttle). You can find a cheap set on ebay. I fly with an X-52, but I want to get my hands on an X-65 when the price comes down a bit.

Welcome NYker, see ya out there.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Newbie with a question

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi EmpireState, welcome to the game and forum. I use an X52. Hope to see you out there some time...;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Wasp89
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Newbie with a question

Post by Wasp89 »

I much prefer the joystick. I feel that it gives me more control, and it has more buttons than a mouse. Also, mice typically only have two axes. Many joysticks have a third twist axes, which allows you to roll (or yaw, depending on how you set it up). Additionally, my mouse only has two buttons, whereas my joystick has over 10 in addition to the multi-directional HAT knob on top that I use for looking around my ship as I fly. It also seems more realistic than using a mouse, like I'm in a real fighter cockpit.

Actually, I use two joysticks. One (my right hand) for pitch, yaw, and attitude, and the other (my left hand) for horizontal and vertical strafing. Of course, if you are going to do this you need a joystick that is ambidextrous or is configurable for left-handed use, as most joysticks are ergonomically designed to work only with the right hand.
-The race is not to the swift,
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise,
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all...

...For death is the destiny of every man;
the living should take this to heart...
Archendrus
Ensign
Ensign

Newbie with a question

Post by Archendrus »

I use the Saitek X-52, since the pro version came out, the regular version dropped in price a bit.

A mouse is a lil easier to control, and you can be a lil more accurate. Configuring all the controls for a joystick can take some time till you find out what works for you. But, There's nothing like playin' a space sim with a joystick and throttle control =D
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Newbie with a question

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello EmpireState, I use a mouse most of the time only because I play on my laptop most of the time. When I can I love to hook up and play using my X52 stick. Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Newbie with a question

Post by 49rTbird »

Noticed a One billion dollar money discrepancy from the pilot selection screen and that pilot when loaded as shown below.

[Edited on 6-26-2011 by thetiebers]
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Newbie with a question

Post by DaveK »

Welcome EmpireState - I use a Saitek X45 - I bought it several years ago but my PC at the time couldn't handle the flight sims I wanted to use so it stayed in its box. I dusted it off for Evochron and it works very very well; :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage