New Cannon Concept 1 (1.441)

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

PHALNYX ROTARY CANNON – This Weapons System uses a Rotary 7 Barrel Design to Fire relatively Low Yield Particle Bursts at an Very High Cyclic Rate. Initially designed as a Close In Weapons System (CIWS) for Capitol Ships it has been Modified for Use by Military Fighters and Civilian Ships alike. The Rotary Barrel Design provides for Rapid Heat Disbursal by Firing a Single Weapon through Multiple Barrels. Components from the StarGuard, Stalker and Maxin-R Cannon have been Modified and used in this Weapons System giving it a Nominal Yield,Very High Cyclic and Extended Range in a Single Weapons System. Due to the Multiple Barrel Design, this Weapon can not Integrate a Cannon Relay System. Jamming has Been Noted in a Continuous use Scenario but is not Exceedingly Prevalent. To Avoid the Potentail Jamming of the Weapon it is advised that a Firing Pattern of 3 sec Bursts, followed by a 1.5 sec Rest Period, then Repeat be Used.An Auto Free Jam System has been Incorporated in this Weapon and has proved Reasonably Effective. It’s Close to Constant Rate of Fire,Heat Dispersion Rate and High Cyclic Rate allows this Weapon to Put Large Amounts of Particle Energy on any Chosen Target.

Y:130 C:110 R:670

3D Renderings available to anyone who wishes them

[file]388[/file]

[Edited on 6-14-2011 by InkedMike]

[Edited on 6-15-2011 by Vice]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
\"HONOR AND INTEGRITY ALWAYS\"
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

ICESTORM CANNON – First envisioned as a Defensive System for Capitol Ships it was found to be more Effective as a Fighter Mounted Weapons System. The ICESTORM Requires the Use of Both Weapons Slots thus a Beam Weapon Can not be Mounted with this System. Further, due to the Systems requirements in Assembly, Power and Size only Military Heavy Interceptor Frames (Avenger, Shrike,
Predator and Chimera) are Able to Mount this Weapons System.
The ICESTORM is, in essence, 8 IceSpear Cannons mounted in a Common Housing using a Single Targeting System and Heatsink (Though a Secondary Heatsink may be added).Due to the Mulpiple Barrel Configuration the System is Unable to use a Cannon Relay System. Both 4 Barrel Units Fire in a 1-3-2-4 Pattern.1 being the upper innermost barrel, 3 being the outermost lower barrel, 2 being the upper outermost barrel and 4 being the lower innermost barrel. All barrels have a Common Focal Point at Range (580) but provide a Larger Impact Area when used at Close Range to the Target. The System uses a Multiple Capacitor System to Provide a Similar Firing Rate to the single IceSpear Cannon, with a Higher Cyclic and Heat Disbursal Rate. This is a Devastating Weapon against both Fighters and Capitol Ships.

Y:25 C:180 R:580

3D Renderings available to anyone who wishes.

[file]390[/file]

KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

The “THUNDERBURST CANNON� is a Mass Projectile Weapon. It fires 21gram Composite Projectiles at 270,000KPH (Close to Light Speed) using an EM Burster as a Propulsion Medium. The Weapon Carries 2 Primary Magazines each Containing 1,500 Rounds plus 2 Secondary Magazines, each with 1,000 Rounds for a Total of 5,000 Rounds. The Weapon System also Uses a Free Particulate Collection System (FPCS) to harvest free Hydrogen,Carbon,Silicon and any Other Particles it's On Board Computer(OBC) Deems Usable. It then uses an Internal Fusion Device (IFD) to Convert these Free Particles to 21g Mass Projectiles, Making this Weapon Self-Sustaining. It Carries 4 Compression Cylinders in with it houses these Free Particulates to Always Provide a Feed Reservoir for IFD while Always Collecting More Free Particulates to Refill These Cylinders. Two of the Cylinders Contain only Hydrogen Atoms while the Other two Contain the Free Carbon,Silicon,etc. It Also produces Minimal Heat allowing for a Rapid, Sustained Firing Rate at a High Cyclic Rate. As These are Mass Projectiles the Effective Yield drops Sharply with Extended Range as the Speed of the Projectile Strips Elements, Particles and Atoms from the Projectile Itself reducing it's Mass and Thus, It's Effectiveness.

Y:55 C:160 R:640 (KENETIC)

3D Renderings are Available for Anyone wishes them.

[file]392[/file]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

Any real need to have started 3 differing threads when one would have done?
verb
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

Can't load all Three Pics on 1 Thread.
Any Real Input?

verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

you can use a photo hosting site, something like flickr or image bucket rather than attaching images, also you could have done 3 posts in a single thread to have got round that.
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rush »

These concepts are too weak. I have a better one:
Tesla Death Ray: kills everything that moves and is unavoidable
:D

Apart from jokes: there's no limit and it's pretty easy to invent mega-weapons. Try to think about something that wouldn't unbalance the game. Read carefully and understand the thread about our requests for the game (for example the distress calls) before posting new proposals ;)

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

I Don't consider these to be Mega-Weapons.They are Sinply Variations that Moderately Increase Firepower.I don't thing ANY of these Weapons would "Unbalance" the Game, that's why some are Restricted to Military Frames of a Certain Class and Others require that you Forgo a Cannon Relay System or a Beam Weapon.My thought was these shortcomings would put the Weapon in a Realitic Catagory with Current Cannons.

If you have Any Ideas on Improvement or "Tweeks" I'd enjoy hearing them.

By the way,if it's "Easy" to Create Weapons, where are your Concepts?

I put alot of Thought into the "Tech" behind the Weapons.Operation Systems, Yeild, Cyclic , Range and Type, as well as "Offsets" to there Useability.Basically,at least I'm trying.I Think a Couple New Cannons would add Loads to the Enjoyment of the Game.

As for the "Distress Calls" you've lost me.

Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

let's face it my friend. It may be fun to read your concepts, but you tend to overpower everything. a lot.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

None of these Weapons are "Overpowered".Read the NUmbers.

Energy on Target is a Simply Calculation: Yield x Cyclic (Cyclic is measured using a Standard Time Period,let's say a Minute)

Now let's take the ICESTORM Cannon. Y: 25 x 2(2 Barrels Fire Simultaneously) - 50 x 180 = 9000 Units of Particle Energy on Target per Time Period. Now lets take the Phantom:

Y:220 x 90 = 19800 Units of Particle Energy on Target per Time Period.(This is WITHOUT A Cannon Relay System)

So HOW is the ICESTORM overpowered? It Puts less than HALF The Particle Energy of a Phantom on Tasrget in a Given Time Period.

Just Because it has 8 cannons DOESN'T MEAN THEY FIRE SIMULTANIOUSLY! The Multiple Barrels are for Heat Disbursion and thus,a More Constant Rate of Fire.
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rush »

InkedMike, you ask me where are my concepts. Read the thread I told you and you'll find the ideas i proposed.
I don't create weapon or ships concepts, because at this stage the game doesn't need them. It need ideas about general gameplay, for example different types of contracts. The current number of weapons is already too high, and new ones won't help us having much more fun.

The point about overpowering weapons is very delicate. I use an Icespear cannon, also in PvP, and it works very well. You have to be very careful about creating "new tech". A lot of effort has been put to balance the game, and new things can easily unbalance it and take away a lot of the fun.
A yield of 25 with a cycle of 180 will disintegrate anything in a second. It is utterly overpowered, and everyone would use it.

Try proposing something conceptually different, like "particle and beam weapons on capital ships, instead of only flak", "let's overpower the AI ships" (just as examples) and people will be happier to discuss ;)

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

The Numbers don't Lie.Given that a Higher Cyclic gives the Shields less time to Recharge the PHANTOM still out-powers the ICESTORM and You can Mount a Cannon Relay System on the PHANTOM, I've Omitted that from the ICESTORM Design..

I Use a StarGaurd and I Know what You Mean. It seems to get the Job done almost as Quickly as the Phantom, but Again, the Numbers are the Numbers.There would be a Cumulative Effect with a Higher Cyclic Rate (re: Shield Recharge Rate), but even so, with the Numbers I've shown, the ICESTORM is Still a Medium Ouput Weapon.

As I Said, I put alot of Thought into these Weapons Concepts and try to NEVER Make them "Doomsday" Weapons.
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

adding my support to Rush's opinion. Cycle rate is an often overlooked but very powerful modifier. I'm not against new concepts, very much to the contrary, and I applaud your efforts. But I am a stickler for play balance and game mechanics, and have quite a bit of experience with this game. When I say something doesn't fit its only coming from that perspective. The new ship frames and guns you've proposed are very interesting,a nd would be great for a work of fiction or a new game, but for this one it would mean everything would have to be overhauled from the ground up, and there are other areas that need attention first. Vice is amazing, but can only do so much.

Might I suggest posting a new concept thread in the general forum,a nd then we can all chime in and go nuts with it. This might generate better discussion of your (and other's) ideas.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Hey, Verb. How goes it?
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

wow! - harsh replies :(

InkedMike is having a bit of fun, not just offering new ideas but putting a bit of thought behind the technology - mixing and matching so the weapons aren't just "megadoom - I see - I kill stuff". He even adds a piccy ;)

Perhaps some of these weapons might be added as a turret gun option - turret guns in WWII bombers often had multiple guns linked together (Lancaster rear gunner - 4 browning 303 mg's) - in Vietnam a chain gun on a Jolly Green Giant was standard issue - if it had had a turret it would probably have carried increased fire power with bigger or multiple chain guns - after all smaller versions were available for single humans to carry (OK - Arnie (Terminator II), and the big guy in Predator I).

Does anyone actually use turrets? If not, why not? Would slightly souped up firepower make a difference to your choice? Using a turret gun would help balance the firepower plus against the negative of having the gun platform controlled by the pilot trying to keep out of trouble

I, for one, enjoy reading other people's ideas - Vice is wise enough not to unbalance the game.

InkedMike - keep it up and push for Vice to hide an odd example somewhere in the Evoverse - it would be a cool moment to stumble across it and even cooler to visit the detractors! :P:P:P

Rush - 180 x 25 = 4.5K; This is between a FireFury (4.2K) or a StarGuard (5.4K)

We already have:

StarForge - 10K
Maxim-R -12K
Atlas - 18K
Phantom - 19.8K

so 4.5K doesn't sound ever so overpowered!:D

[Edited on 15-6-2011 by DaveK]

[Edited on 15-6-2011 by DaveK]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
KingArthur
Commander
Commander

Post by KingArthur »

DaveK.Thanks for the Vote of Support.I Really like the Turret Gun Idea.(They still use Quad 50's - 4 M2 .50 Cal Heavy Machine Guns Tied to a Central Targeting Sight, Trigger and Chair)

I wouldn't mind Vice hiding some of them in "Uncharted Systems",but I would also like to see one offered as normal (Station/Carrier/Construct)

As I've set out in the Numbers , these Cannons are NOT Overpowered (I Calculate Energy on Target before I Post Them) I consider the Cyclic Rate Carefully as well as the Cumulative Energy/Shield ReCharge Aspect and I always add a "Downside" to the Use of Each Weapon.

I Include a Image of Each Cannon simply because I enjoy Creating it.

Love the Banner Line of "Hell".LoL.
Commander Wilmot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I would like to see more rapid fire cannons too. But I think that the cannons should not be more powerful than the high level cannons. I would suggest that the cycle rate be probably no more than 40 units greater than the currently cannons with the highest cycle rate, and definitely no more than a cycle rate of 200 units total. I would like a cannon like the Sunrage cannon from the original Star Wraith series, personally.
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rush »

I have an Icespear cannon + fusion laser, and I blow up capital ships in less than 2 minutes, any other enemy in less than 30 seconds. And I always see a lot of people with this "killing rate".
The Icespear has Y:25 C:120. I don't want to imagine how boring it would be to fight with a cannon with 180 of cycle.

I'm sorry, but the weapons are already overpowered, in a certain way. Upgrading them would be disastrous in my opinion ;)

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

I agree with Rush here, the IceSpear is already a very powerful cannon that will turn any foe into dust within seconds due to it's high rate of fire.

Having an even more powerful cannon would be insta-kill.
Galaxy Defense Force Operator
Join the GDF!
Commander Wilmot
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I did not notice the Icespear being that powerful in Legends, maybe it's different in Mercenary.