Spoiler Alert

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
soulsacrifice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Spoiler Alert

Post by soulsacrifice »

From post: 107175, Topic: tid=7568, author=TGS wrote:Gate's and gate construction would be very intriguing. But would require something to make it balanced otherwise you are essentially giving people the ability to create a bridge between any two points in space with no real draw back. I am not really sure how Vice could mechanically set that up with the game's engine.
The balance would be the cost of setting them up and the cost of using them. The game engine already allows you to place custom gates (albiet externally in the form of creating custom universes by modifying text files) it also allows us to place stations (in-game but it's still just modifying text files). I'm 99% sure this can be done, it would require some additions/changes to the code but it is possible.
From post: 107175, Topic: tid=7568, author=TGS wrote:One common option would be that it requires fuel to operate but then how would that work if there is nothing in the game to setup that sort of system. Another option would be limiting them as someone mentioned to 1 per player but how exactly would that work if you can't move them it would be annoying. If you could move them it would be trivial and/or pointless.

Great idea if it could be done properly. But doing it properly would be difficult.
Just calculate the distance between the two points (easily gotten by the coordinates and a little maths) and then multiply it by fuel cost. The money could be deducted automatically as you go through and the gate would not open if you have insufficient funds.

It could be made so once placed and linked they can't be moved until after 5000 (or whatever) cycles, or you could have to visit a 'gate builder' station in say 'Sapphire' (because it's central) before being able to relocate them again. Lots of ways it could be worked.
Profile Share Thread (Links RE-fixed)
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Spoiler Alert

Post by Avenger »

From post: 107018, Topic: tid=7568, author=DaveK wrote:Why not just play StarLancer? :P:P
I would if it worked, Starlancer is a pretty buggy game that never got patched.

My new hardware does not agree with Starlancer anymore, not too big of a waste though, I found the game a tad dissapointing although not a total flop.
Galaxy Defense Force Operator
Join the GDF!