Newcomer finding his way into Star Wraith/Arvoch/Evochron series

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Kapetan
Ensign
Ensign

Newcomer finding his way into Star Wraith/Arvoch/Evochron series

Post by Kapetan »

Hi everyone. I've got a few questions about the game(s) before I start playing. Few years ago Evochron got my attention while I was looking for a decent space sim, and even though it amazed me right away, I for some reason decided to skip on it, probably due to lack of free time at that time. Things have changed, and now I'd like to really get into it, BUT... Where does one start?

As far as I understand, each sequel starting from the first game(Star Wraith) adds to the storylane, and since my OCD wouldn't allow me to just jump in the middle of it knowing that there might be something that I'm missing out from earlier games, I need to research this first.

I've also seen on the WWW that some of the first games were made free, but I'm unable to find them as of yet. So, do I need to start from the first game in order to not miss anything? And if so, where do I find those games now since it's been a while.

Thanks!
Last edited by Kapetan on Thu May 25, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newcomer finding his way into Star Wraith/Arvoch/Evochron series

Post by Vice »

In general, each game I've created has been designed to operate as a stand alone title. Battle conditions and gameplay focus has varied from game to game, StarWraith being a mission driven combat focused series, Evochron being a more sandbox/freeform mercenary flight simulation series. And each game can be played on its own without playing earlier games. So there's no need to go back nearly 20 years to play the early games as the latest, Evochron Legacy, can be played from the start and has its own dedicated training/instructions/options designed to help new players who have had no prior experience with Evochron. It's also designed to work with more modern system configurations, rather than PC's and OS's from 15-20 years ago. So my recommendation would simply be to start flying with Evochron Legacy.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Arvoch Alliance isn't as old as some of the other installments in the Starwraith series. And playing it helps to explain how things got started. Vice ported over some of the better aspects of AA into Mercenary and, from there, into Legacy. For Legacy, it was mostly a starting point. EL has been tweaked, modified and given new options, new contracts and a new quest engine. AA, on the other hand, is mission-oriented (as opposed to the sandbox style of EL), taking the player through the incidents which defined the currents conflict between Alliance, Federation and Vonari.
Kapetan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kapetan »

Thanks guys, I understand that one can start from Legacy, but since I'm someone who's also interested in the backstory of the whole game series, I was thinking on going way back if it's worth it. But I guess it's then better to read some history on the game through the forum? Like, is there some kind of a timeline of the events that could help me gather bits and pieces about it all?

Also, hat off to you sir @Vice, for developing such a great game for such a long time!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

There is the compendium for Mercenary: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmerce ... iverse.htm

It discussed each planet within the gated star systems from an historical point of view.

There used to be an actual history somewhere but I can't remember back that far. :P
OSH
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by OSH »

Well, I've started my adventure with SW3DG from beginning: Star Wolf, then Star Wraith series, Rift Space, Evochron and now I'm playing Evochron Alliance 1.0.