Keyboards?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Keyboards?

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

So I guess everyone has their own choices, I used to have a Logitech G15.

I have a relatively normal keyboard currently but looking to upgrade/change/add-on.

What are people thoughts, and the add-on would be a Logitech G13.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Keyboards?

Post by DaveK »

Deleted: Sorry ... misunderstood the original post - I just think of a keyboard as a keyboard :)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I used a variety of Saitek keyboards years ago, often until the coating on several keys wore off. I'm currently using a Logitech G110 and have for a few years now. It's backlighting is a little dim in comparison to some, but seems to be very durable and offers good tactile response. The keys still look and work like they did when new.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
CS-ACI-
Commander
Commander

Post by CS-ACI- »

Hello,

After reading DaveK's post, I should also point out I am left handed, which does rule some options out.

Steve
[align=center][SW] CS-ACI-
Desk jockey and experimental pilot.
[/align]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Vice wrote:I used a variety of Saitek keyboards years ago, often until the coating on several keys wore off. I'm currently using a Logitech G110 and have for a few years now. It's backlighting is a little dim in comparison to some, but seems to be very durable and offers good tactile response. The keys still look and work like they did when new.
:o I've had the same problem with a number of backlit keyboards. So, you're saying the Logitch G110 doesn't have this problem? Does that mean it's more like a backlit laptop keyboard (my laptop, at least ... it has absolutely no wear after a very long period of time and lots of use).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Marvin wrote: :o I've had the same problem with a number of backlit keyboards. So, you're saying the Logitch G110 doesn't have this problem? Does that mean it's more like a backlit laptop keyboard (my laptop, at least ... it has absolutely no wear after a very long period of time and lots of use).
So far for me, the G110 has been the only backlit keyboard I've tried that has survived the typing torture I put keyboards through. The keys are all still lit, provide the same consistent tactile response, and have not worn through. Only the gold 'G110' badge above the arrow keys is worn, but that's not a functional or display part of the keyboard. With a little cleaning, it would look and function as well as it did when new, which says a lot for how long it has lasted and how much typing I've done on it.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:) Okay, thanks Vice. I'll pass the info along to my "computer-builder" ... I hope he can find that keyboard somewhere. Sounds great.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

:o Good luck with that - all I can find is one new one on Amazon @ $300 and a couple of second hand ones. Pity - it sounded good for non-gaming use as well. :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

NewEgg has them for about the same price.

??? Correction. At NewEgg, they're a hundred bucks more. :o
mmRunner
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mmRunner »

Well, if you can live without gaming gimmicks on the keyboard, the best keyboard ever built - not only for writing maniacs - is the IBM Model M keyboard (Model M keyboard).

I'm using 2 of them (one in the office, one at home) since 1995 (21 years!!!). There are (nearly) no traces of use on them - and I'm a writing maniac. Cleaning is very easy: pull off the keycaps put them into a sock and put it into the washing machine (delicate wash). For the case: disassemble it and clean it in a low temperature dish washer. The interior of the keyboard you can clean (very carefully!) with a vacuum cleaner and a wet cloth.

I've got 2 more of those keyboards on stock. But I think I'll never use them ... This device seems to be indestructible!

After IBM has stopped producing it, Unicomp continues to manufacture it.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Is it back-lit? If not, I think I'll go with Abby Sciuto's keyboard ... clear keys with black lettering (instead of vice versa). My son has one ... same brand as mine except mine was solid keys with clear lettering. You can still see the letters on his and, even if they rub off with excessive use, it's easy enough to find stick-on letters to replace the worn ones.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Wow, the price for the G110 must have ballooned for some reason. I think I paid around $100 or less for one originally years ago.
StarWraith 3D Games
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

I think that it's because they stopped making it a few years ago! :)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Marvin wrote:Is it back-lit? If not, I think I'll go with Abby Sciuto's keyboard ...
I think Gibbs and the rest of the team will have harsh words about that! They are VERY protective :))

ps: what does Azn stand for on this: ^-^
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

DaveK wrote:ps: what does Azn stand for on this: ^-^
??? Ya got me. (It took me more than half-a-minute just to realize I had to cursor over the smilie.)
Hypsicratea
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Hypsicratea »

I am using a Corsair Vengeance K95. It has Cherry MX Red switches, 18 programmable G-keys with 3 banks, customizable backlighting, and a Windows-key lock.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Hypsicratea wrote:I am using a Corsair Vengeance K95. It has Cherry MX Red switches, 18 programmable G-keys with 3 banks, customizable backlighting, and a Windows-key lock.
Lots of reviews mention multiple LED failures starting after a few months. How is yours performing? :)