I want to play the first two Evochron games. Where are they?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Endless Rain
Ensign
Ensign

I want to play the first two Evochron games. Where are they?

Post by Endless Rain »

All the StarWraith 3D games before Evochron Renegades and Arvoch Conflict are unavailable to purchase. I found the freeware versions of the Star Wraith games, RiftSpace, and Star Wolf here: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... es#p162081

However, it appears Evochron and Evochron Alliance were never released as freeware, and since they are no longer available for purchase on the site anymore, I am worried it may be impossible to obtain them. (So are Raven and the Star Commander games, but I don't care about those as much. It would be nice to find them though :) .) Please consider rereleasing your old games on your website; I would gladly buy the first two Evochron games if they were available to buy. I probably wouldn't get Raven and Star Commander except as freeware though.

(Thanks for releasing freeware versions of the 1996-2004 era games, BTW. Please just put them back up on the site so they're easier to find. I'm even fine if you have to charge for them to pay for the cost of facilitating downloads.)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I want to play the first two Evochron games. Where are they?

Post by Vice »

The original Evochron game was eventually updated to Evochron Alliance for free and included necessary changes to keep the game running on later versions of Windows. The first Evochron game used technology that Microsoft removed from Vista and later versions of Windows, so since Evochron Alliance was to also be a full update to the original, it was updated to be compatible with Vista. I still provide download and registration support for those who purchased it and may want to run it on an old system, but it's not available for purchase (nor updating/recompiling on a development platform I haven't used in about 10 years). If you want the original Evochron Alliance and currently own one of the newer games in the series, you can send me a reminder e-mail (starwraith.com > contact) and I can look into trying to hunt down the installer/info needed. Not sure it will even run on recent versions of Windows though, so just something to be aware of.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Endless Rain
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Endless Rain »

Thank you Vice, I'll be sending you an email soon. (The only Evochron game I own so far is Renegades :() I use Windows 7, and Evochron Mercenary, RiftSpace, and all of the Star Wraith games run on it, so it might not be a problem. (Star Wolf doesn't though. No idea about Raven and Star Commander.) I really enjoy playing through game series' in development order, since it's fun to see how a game series evolves over time, so thank you for helping out with Evochron Alliance.
Endless Rain
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Endless Rain »

I just got Evochron Alliance from you, Vice, and it works perfectly on Windows 7. Thank you for helping! Any word on whether it will come back to the main site?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Probably not at this stage considering its inherent dependencies/limitations and very old development framework that is no longer supported. I'll continue to offer download and registration support for those who bought the game though and still want to try and run it on old versions of Windows.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations