Spinning problems

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
AnubisTheUmbreon
Ensign
Ensign

Spinning problems

Post by AnubisTheUmbreon »

I'm playing on Evochron Legacy and I discovered my ship spinning uncontrollably. I unfortunately can't provide a screenshot, but in the Axis menu, Axis 1's... I'll call it a cylinder, is moved all the way to the left. This causes my spacecraft to continuously spin left. All the other axis' cylinders are in the center. How can I get axis 1's cylinder back in the center?

[Edited on 4-8-2016 by AnubisTheUmbreon]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Spinning problems

Post by Vice »

You've provided very little information to go on. What game is this in? What are your system specs? What control device are you using that involves this axis channel? Do you want to use that axis channel for roll control or not?

Generally speaking, you'll either need to fix the issue with the device itself or its related software via calibration. Or if this is EL you are referring to, you may be able to expand the deadzone on that axis channel enough within the game to provide a wide enough deadzone for the device regardless of how imprecise the axis channel might be toward center. If you don't want to use that axis channel, then you can simply unbind it from any flight control.

Edit: Thanks for updating your post with more information. Sounds like the axis signal is inherent to the device. So if the device doesn't allow you to center that axis, the game won't either because the game is reactive and only responds to what the device send to it... it can't control the device. That level of control is up to the device itself and its driver.

[Edited on 4-8-2016 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
poneytailman
Ensign
Ensign

Spinning problems

Post by poneytailman »

All you have to do is put axis 2 to pitch, axis 3 to turn, axis 4 to roll. and leave the rest of them blank, should be good to go.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spinning problems

Post by Marvin »

Unless you set your controls a few versions ago and now need to add the deviceinputold.txt file.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spinning problems

Post by DaveK »

The what?

Could this be why I had to reset all my input devices?

Is it also responsible for my devices having changed number - the stick is now device 3

:(
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Spinning problems

Post by Vice »

While not related to the original poster's issue, you can read more about the complete control system rewrite done a few months ago here: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12424
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spinning problems

Post by Marvin »

The applicable (to me, anyway) part of that page is this:
If you do not want to use the new control system and would prefer to keep the original system, that option is still available as both systems have been left in place for players to select which one they prefer. To keep the old control system in place, simply place a text file named 'deviceinputold.txt' in the game's install folder. It can contain nothing or the word 'enable' in the first line.
Without that file, if you don't remap your joystick, you'll notice as soon as you enter the game: your ship spins continuously.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Spinning problems

Post by Vice »

Or doesn't spin at all using original mappings. Or spins on a different axis. Or spins in an opposite direction. However, if you've already updated within the last few months and have remapped your controls, then you don't need to worry or contend with going back to the old control system.

The new control system offers more options, has more capacity for more axis channels and buttons, supports dual button and HAT input bindings better, is better with certain devices in Windows 10, offers enhanced response, and uses a better global input system. So the only reason(s) someone might want to downgrade back to the old control system is if they didn't want to remap their controls and/or wanted to keep the old limitations and options. But the new system is far superior in pretty much every way.
StarWraith 3D Games
AnubisTheUmbreon
Ensign
Ensign

Spinning problems

Post by AnubisTheUmbreon »

I have fixed the problem and I'm sorry for not giving as much info as I should of. Thanks for everyone's help!