Hardcore mode idea...

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
robert_loblaw
Ensign
Ensign

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by robert_loblaw »

A question for the seasoned vets. So what do you think of a option that requires you to have food, water and oxygen in your ship that gets depleted as time goes on. We could have a life support button in the crew screen that keeps track of the required supplies (food, water and oxygen)?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by Marvin »

Since you need all ten cargo bays to build a command module, more bays would need to be added for storing the perishables. Then, how long would they last, real time?
robert_loblaw
Ensign
Ensign

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by robert_loblaw »

I wasn't thinking about using storage but a button in the crew screen that you can add the life support supplies to. This wouldn't effect your ships storage or modules. Just a thought, I am kind of thinking out loud. Have a great evening.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by Marvin »

Well, at least all three items already exist in the game. I was wondering how long they would last on a long trip.
robert_loblaw
Ensign
Ensign

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by robert_loblaw »

Good question. Maybe some of the supplies get used up at the same time frame the crew get paid.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by matchbox2022 »

Yeah it could be something you fill up on at docks....and if you don't you see consequences.
Eventually leading to death.
And maybe you could only get gas on planets.

And so what, only a certain amount of save lives? :P

That might actually be fun.
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by Marvin »

From post: 186137, Topic: tid=12503, author=matchbox2022 wrote:And maybe you could only get gas on planets.
:cool: Speaking of food and gas ... you could get both at any Denny's or Starbuck's command module. ;)
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by SeeJay »

Sounds like a cool idea.

In addition to a "new" storage that depletes by time, you could store in the normal cargo bays as well for long travels.
Transfer it (refill) the "new" storage from a cargo bay on the fly would be necessary as well.

Oxygen, and water can be obtained on planets and some rings. Birds could serve as food for long time travels! ;)
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by Sinbad »

I love this idea. I've thought of it before, but I thought it would be too complicated to incorporate into the game. If it was possible though it would be fantastic. As Seejay said, for long expeditions you could load into cargo bays extra food, oxygen, and water. It would make those commodities more important than they presently are in the game. As you suggest there could be a button on the inventory or crew console to show how much you have left. Maybe also a voice alert when you are low, like the alert for low fuel. The rate of decay is something that would have to be tested and tweaked. As a starting point it could be something similar or slower than the average fuel decay rate.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by DaveK »

We already get 'free' CM's when we refuel

How's about a water/air recycler unit built into the frames (like lighting, plumbing and sanitation already are) - these minimise the loss of oxygen and water and they automatically get replenished when you refuel or when you fly through an atmosphere (oxygen) or are near water or in rings (water). Water can be electrolytically split to create oxygen but that would make the water run out faster

Food? ... dehydrated blocks of a basic, flavour free, nutrient balanced, 'bulk' plus a multi-component flavour dispenser to make the meal from the food dispenser taste something like it should - when you dial up a curry, you get something like a curry. It also explains the popularity of bars in the Evoverse - they are where you can get real food after a hard time out in the void

I'm not sure whether the overhead of monitoring water/oxygen/food reserves to generate a 'go shopping' warning are worth the impact of gameplay/immersion. Perhaps it could be simply calculated from playing time - you get a warning every (say) 4 hours of play if you haven't docked to replenish your basics (food) or flown in an atmosphere/ring (water and oxygen) SeeJay - you've obviously not tried 'roast bird', rice and veg - even the fabled GorfBurgers were more palatable :P

The other issue is what happens if you do run out ...

oxygen would be created from your water
when the water runs out you might die of thirst or lack of air
when you run out of food you would start to starve

... I'm not sure how Vice would programme starving, dehydrating or asphyxiating in-game, though ;)

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by Marvin »

From post: 186158, Topic: tid=12503, author=DaveK wrote:SeeJay - you've obviously not tried 'roast bird', rice and veg - even the fabled GorfBurgers were more palatable :P
:o What about blackbird pie?
robert_loblaw
Ensign
Ensign

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by robert_loblaw »

From post: 186158, Topic: tid=12503, author=DaveK wrote:

... I'm not sure how Vice would programme starving, dehydrating or asphyxiating in-game, though ;)

:)
I quess if you died and had no money you could work off a loan at the last station you saved at. So the last station would loan you the value of fully stocked goods. Every job you do a part of your profit would go to paying back the loan. I guess kind of like what Elite does. Not to say I want this game to be Elite. I love the game as is but that kind of machanic, is what I am talking about. I worked very hard in this game and I want continue using my current save profile and not start a new one. So I would rather take a loan then be dead in the water and start a new pilot profile.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by Marvin »

:cool: If you run short of anything, you can always go into cryo ... which, I think, is what happens anyway when you save while in space. Then, while you sleep, a rescue ship can come along and save you from any of the above ailments. All you'd need do before activating cryo is to send out an emergency message ... and wait.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by matchbox2022 »

Distress calls would be nice to send if even to NPCs in sector
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
KiltedLion
Ensign
Ensign

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by KiltedLion »

There would also be waste to contend with. No trash in space please...

[Edited on 3-2-2016 by KiltedLion]
robert_loblaw
Ensign
Ensign

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by robert_loblaw »

From post: 186200, Topic: tid=12503, author=KiltedLion wrote:There would also be waste to contend with. No trash in space please...

We could create a food bar called soiledgreen. Nothing is going to waste.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hardcore mode idea...

Post by DaveK »

From post: 186201, Topic: tid=12503, author=robert_loblaw wrote:
From post: 186200, Topic: tid=12503, author=KiltedLion wrote:There would also be waste to contend with. No trash in space please...

We could create a food bar called soiledgreen. Nothing is going to waste.
:P:P:P
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage